Typhoid Mary Mallon?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by verybrad, Dec 1, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

A friend bought this photo under the assumption that it was Typhoid Mary (Mary Mallon). Apparently, this was the assertion of the dealer selling it. He said it matched a known photo of her. I can not find any matching photos of her, though there is some resemblance. Really no clues on the back, though there is some writing. The mat and photo are glued to a portion of a paper photo folder cut to size. Any help here?

mary.jpg mary2.jpg mary3.jpg mary4.jpg mary5.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

She's dressed like a nurse, which would exclude Typhoid Mary.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Ditto. Nurse's uniform, not a cook's, circa 1895/1900 if memory serves.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

She does bear a passing resemblance to Mary Mallon.....................

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If this is a solar enlargement, it is a photographic copy of one since the size is small. Maybe 5 x7 including mat. Sorry I did not include that information. It may have originally been in a folder but not necessarily so. The mat is heavier than those usually found within a folder. The back is from a folder but trimmed to the size of the mat and glued as backing.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, it could be a photographic copy of a solar enlargement.. Now that I'm looking at the back in your images, I think that may possibly be an original card mount from the early 20th century, not the back of a folder. For example, here is the back of a card photo that I've posted either here or on the old Antiques board before:
    Franklin Ruedel2 (420x640).jpg

Here is the front of that one:
    Franklin Ruedel original (420x640).jpg

You can see that the back of the card is showing an impression from the design on the front. The photo itself is glued to a rectangular space on the front that has an impressed "frame" around it. But there is no mat, per se.

Draft saved Draft deleted