Featured UK may have ivory sales ban

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by afantiques, Oct 6, 2017.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41512796

to include antique ivory items.

I expect antique items will simply trade between people on the quiet.

I'd still buy a nice piece at the right price (cheaper than now!) as I am planning to be dead before stuff I buy for myself become anybody's problem, and in any case the family can just keep them.

2. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Banning pre-47 ivory is gonna make a LOT of people extremely unhappy. I wonder how many world-renowned museums would willingly smash up their collections of antique ivory, douse them in gasoline, and set them on fire?

3. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

This ban or bans in other countries won't stop the poachers and what about genuine dealers who will have theirs livelihoods affected?
    What about genuine people who have bought antique Ivory in good faith as maybe an investment for their old age?
    In my opinion this is wrong on so many levels.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::banhappy::banhappy::banhappy::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::dead::dead:

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They pulled that here, in my state. Antique ivory went from kind of cool to absolutely worthless overnight. What does it do to stop poaching? Absolutely nothing. Pointless and probably counter-productive in the long run, but it makes the Save the Earth crowd feel good.

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Indeed. :p

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

If this legislation takes becomes law will there be an exodus of ivory made collectables from the U.K. right before the effective date?

8. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I'm sure that there will be a lot of Ivory antiques at antique fairs and centres from now on, The last time this was rumoured there was Ivory everywhere, It calmed down when nothing happened but now it's looking like it will come about so dealers will be getting rid fast.

9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The proposed terms exempt museums and sales between museums, so no talk of destroying anything, or interference with people's property, just a ban on sales.

Let us see if this gets kicked into the long grass, as seemingly worthy but idiotic proposals often do.
    I don't think the grass roots supporters will be all that keen, many will have to odd objet d'art around, because this is a Conservative government with strong middle class support and essentially run by the upper classes.
    Not much good writing to my MP, we live in a Labour constituency.

I'll look for a few pieces at distress sale prices. :)

KingofThings likes this.
  11. evelyb30

I'm still finding the odd bits of jewelry locally made with it that sellers haven't identified. It turns up on Ebay too, most often in lots where the pieces are only identified by looking at the photos. People who know ivory know what they're seeing. I have a friend who likes ivory, so if I see something she'd like going for cheap ... but otherwise I let sleeping elephant teeth lie.

The market for the new stuff is in Asia, along with the biggest market for antique pieces. If the antique market dries up, what's it going to do to the market for poached pieces? Definitely not the brightest of ideas.

12. KingofThings

13. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

This law is ridiculous. Words will not change anything. You wanna stop ivory poaching? Then keep spraying their tusks bubblegum pink or whatever the heck it is they're doing now. But leave our antiques alone! We didn't shoot anything to get them and I for one object strongly at being criminalised over this. Should we therefore ban the sale of rosewood furniture because rosewood trees are endangered? Or the sale of MoP things because oysters are running out? What about the sale of furniture altogether because of deforestation?

You see how ridiculous it sounds?

14. KingofThings

It does!!!
    And what of kumquat stocks!
    THEN what!
    ;)

Ghopper1924 and Rayo56 like this.
  15. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Oh I think locking your butt up in jail for 6 months and fining you 10,000$ will change your mind real FAST!

Darn, I'd say have a drink, sit back, and calm down!!

16. evelyb30

...and sell costume like some of us?(LOL) No one's gotten around to outlawing vintage plastic yet. I can see them going after bakelite eventually; it contains formaldehyde, a known carcinogen.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings

Oh! I've got to stop snacking on Bakelite!
    :p

Draft saved Draft deleted