Featured Uncanny resemblance

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by daveydempsey, Nov 14, 2019.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

By chance I came across this photo yesterday on a WWII site displaying rarely seen photos.

Its of a terrified Jewish boy aged about 6-7, held up at gun point by the Nazis in a Polish ghetto uprising 1939.

Warsaw-Ghetto-Uprising.jpg

Then I find one of my Dad aged 6 in 1926 (England) walking with his mother.

The clothing and facial features are incredibly alike.

Dpics (1).jpg

I asked my Dad today if he'd done any time travelling in his younger days :hilarious:

pol-horz.jpg

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

They say everyone in the world has a doppelganger somewhere else. Looks like you happened across your Dad's.

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

That poor wee boy with guns aimed at him .. makes me sick and brings tears to the eyes ... Joy. :(

4. daveydempsey

My dad said he wondered if he was still alive and had a happy life, marrying and having children and grandchildren.

I would like to think he did, but under those circumstances pictured I doubt he survived much after the photo was taken.

I suppose we will never know.

5. Christmasjoy

6. Christmasjoy

Did those bastards in uniform FEEL ANYTHING as those children walked to their deaths ??? ... I'm sorry, forgive me .. :(:(:( ...:bigtears:

7. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

Don't apologize for your freedom to express your feelings @Christmasjoy I don't think the Nazis did feel anything empathetic at all, I've heard accounts/stories (beyond horrific) about other members of my family/ancestors (we are of Jewish decent) young & old who were not fortunate to get out of Europe on time (and that was not easy, many countries were not accepting immigrants, if you had the money, it could be"done". The Nazis pursued thier so-called "ethnic cleansing" with gross hate filled morbid efficiency....it saddens me to even think about all the lives lost in all communities and cultures. But thier memory lives on in our hearts.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Amazing resemblance, @daveydempsey -- And we are all glad that your dad is still here in the world, almost a century later. :):)

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That is so eerie Davey . Im not sure Id have wanted to make the connection ! Though we arent killing anyone (yet) it makes me think of those poor children being separated from their parents at the US border . A national disgrace.

10. daveydempsey

Thanks Fig.
    He's doing good and has no regrets about plugging a few of the enemy between 39-45.

I was around at his house today, I was in the kitchen making drinks and he went to answer his door.

I heard him say "bugger off and if you come around here again I'll rip your head off"

I rushed to the door thinking someone was trying to get in or con him.

Turns out it was a canvasser for the Labour Party, our elections are due next month :D:D

11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is an uncanny resemblance.
    The other day i was looking for something I forget what online, and I did a double take as the woman in the photo looked a lot like my mom when she was quite young. Now if I could just remember where I saw it.

As to that horrible time in history, Never Forget.

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

:D:D:D This made me laugh out loud. Your father is just amazing!

13. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Perhaps those people are not their parents? If they are, perhaps they shouldn't put themselves and their children is such a position. Whereas the people in the photo had no choice and the Nazis were vicious!

14. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I saw my doppelganger once. I was in my teens I guess. He was marching in a parade I was watching. Our eyes locked, I swear It was like looking at myself. I went to where the parade ended, but couldn't find him. It was eerie.
    I have also been told I have a twin in this area , (several times). I have not run into him though.

15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

A very well known, and horribly heart-breaking, photo.
    There's even a Wikipedia page about it/him.

And I agree that your father looks incredibly like that poor boy!

16. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Surrendering yourself at the border is NOT illegal . While Im sure there are some people using children as a pawn,Im equally sure the majority arent. The damage being done to young psyches is incalculable . Herding children into pens like dogs is a national disgrace ,but so much is anymore I guess theres no use lamenting. All we can do is hope for a better future. Politics,like religion,are better left unremarked upon so I end my soapbox rant.

17. daveydempsey

Thanks @bluumz for finding that.
    Incredibly sad.
    I'm pleased Blösche finally received his just desserts.

cxgirl, bluumz, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  18. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Exactly. The children have no choice in the matter, yet they are the ones who will suffer the damage for the remainder of their lives.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bdigger,
    It is a shock to see your doppelganger isn't? At my wife's grandmother's funeral I met mine. Several people came over and asked questions ,very strange questions. Then I saw myself wearing a black suit, mine was dark gray. We just looked at each other in shock. He said to me "you must be Greg. People have been calling me that all evenuing." I replied you must be Mr Pisani. We had a photo taken of the two of us but it never developed. Goodness that was 70 years ago.
    greg

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  20. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it is one of the jokes of history. after having read the book I was flabbergasted, because it wasn't conclusive really. in West Germany he would eventually have walked out of court free or with 5 years prison only, because the English and Americans didn't press the Germans enough to install a proper legislation. on the other hand the Russians were very fast with the death penalty and so was the GDR.
    in the end it's the story of an idiot yokel that was already brutalized as a youngster - which wasn't rare in poor families - and in the end killed by his Communist counterpart; at the time of his death there were several Generals of the GDR Volksarmee that were also staunch Nazis till 1945.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted