Unidentified Duck Antiques... any help identifying would be great!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by yungsorjuana, Apr 17, 2021.

1. yungsorjuana

yungsorjuana New Member

Hi everybody! I picked up these ducks at an estate sale along with a few other items in an affluent area, but can't figure out what they are. The ducks are wooden and have strings looped through the bottom with a lead swing weight attached (as pictured). Initially I thought they would float and that the weights would balance them, but when I put them in water, they sank. Any help identifying the ducks would be greatly appreciated! Thanks besties :kiss:!

Rayo56 and judy like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

They are far too small to be decoys, so having them float is not really an issue. Although being wood they should float I would think - unless your water is too deep and the weight is heavier than the duck.

The species (left to right) are:

1) Canada goose (not Canadian goose)
    2) Redhead duck
    3) Probably meant to be a green-winged teal but the painting/colors are too poor to tell for sure.
    4) Painter wanted it to be a pintail duck but it doesn't have a proper tail.
    5) Wood duck
    6) Mallard

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think they are just meant to be decorative. If the attached weighs make them sink, they are non-functional. Big fish will take ducklings, so duck shaped fishing lures are not unheard of.

Dscn4561.jpg

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Rayo56 likes this.
  5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Don't know why they would sink, waterlogged and they need drying out - LOL??? I know there are hand carved miniature duck decoy models that are collectible but they are about hand sized, not as small as yours.
    One can only speculate what they are for - somebody got real good at carving very small duck decoys? Or easier to haul around to show how to rig a real decoy?
    [​IMG]

moreotherstuff and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted