Unique Antique Painting - Any Information??

Discussion in 'Art' started by ClassicallyDriven, May 1, 2020.

1. ClassicallyDriven

ClassicallyDriven New Member

Hi,
    New to this forum but I am a long time collector / hobby dealer specializing in automobilia. I acquired this painting a while ago and hoping that someone here might be able to provide information about how old it is, the artist, etc

The painting features a dog and hawk (or similar bird of prey). The hawk is over a shield with a spear / helmet and the dog appears to be attacking. It is a small piece (approx 4" by 12" and appears to be very finely done. Medium may be egg tempera on thin cardstock type paper (I am not an art expert). This does appear to have some age to it

I would really appreciate any insights and would love to learn more about it!

- Mike

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

The spear, shield, helmet, and eagle all look perhaps...Roman?

EDIT - the painting also contains another roman symbol, the fasces.

https://www.ancient.eu/Fasces/

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The fasces is a Roman symbol but has been used by other cultures. It's associated with Fascism (to which it gave its name) but it's also a symbol of rightful power and authority. Think yours is a symbolic painting where the dog of war have been unleashed to fight unlawful bellicose forces. Or somethin' like that.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

4. ClassicallyDriven

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apologies, Aaron. Didn't read your comments before I posted. Didn't mean to repeat the information you provided.

Debora

kyratango, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. ClassicallyDriven

@Debora Thanks as well! I've already learned so much. It's definitely a symbolic piece and it would be great to know the exact context

kyratango, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

No worries, I'm just diggin up bits and pieces, and am far from an expert on things Roman, or things art!

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So World War I perhaps? Eagle representing German?

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The symbols of Imperial Rome with something like a jackal snapping at them. The eagle is Jupiter's bird; the device on the shield is his thunder & lightning. The spear, shield & helmet belong to Mars, god of war. It looks like it could have been the predella of a larger work. Reminds me of the work of Michelangelo Maestri.

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Italian gouache; many works of different classical subjects show up from time to time. Souvenirs of grand tour type trips to Italy.

11. Bronwen

I note the fasces, symbol of strength in unity as well as legal power, is coming unbound, so perhaps a symbolic representation of the fall of Rome.

kyratango likes this.
  12. ClassicallyDriven

Huge thank you to everyone who has responded! Very much appreciated

@blooey I think that's exactly what this is - I've found a few others with similar style borders / sizes (though none of this subject)

PortableTreasures and Bronwen like this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wonder if it might be a study for pietra dura or micromosaic. There's something naggingly familiar about it.

smallaxe and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

This bit (the predella)

Day1Predella.png

goes below this

Day1Chromo2.png

OP strikes me as the same sort of thing, I suppose because of the elongated shape & the animals.

aaroncab and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted