Unique Leather and Wood Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Quirky, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Quirky

Quirky New Member

PXL_20210209_183755245_compress76.jpg PXL_20210209_183957773_compress73.jpg PXL_20210209_183812094_compress63.jpg PXL_20210209_183929120_compress1.jpg I would love to know the history of this chair. Chair was given by my grandmother and likely came from an estate sale. Unfortunately it has some damage to it so it may not be worth much in its condition. Any thoughts on when and where it may have been made?

2. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

Possibly (???) a ships captain chair, but only a guess. I'm sure others here will know for certain. I like it BWT :)

Quirky likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Perhaps a variant of a Savonarola chair? (I know there's another name for it, but can't drag it out of my brain right noq.)

Quirky likes this.
  4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

reminds me of Spanish Portuguese...does have a curule form base though.

Quirky and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Quirky

Quirky New Member

I appreciate the great thoughts on it. Dante may be the other name for the Savonarola thought that's only based on my googling. Are the tacks any indication of the age or does that not help much? If there are other photos I can send that would clarify please let me know.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's the word! Curule!

laura9797 and ritzyvintage like this.
  7. ritzyvintage

I certainly has a lot of age-related wear to the leather. The central piece of wood under the seat (with a 'groove' on it) appears to be an addition/replacement?

8. Quirky

Quirky New Member

PXL_20210209_223905062_compress19.jpg PXL_20210209_223845307_compress44.jpg Here's a shot of the jointing if it helps at all.

9. ritzyvintage

That joint is to secure the curved sections together. I meant the central piece as sown below. It as a mysterious 'dent' in it? It may not be original to the chair?

[​IMG]

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also get a Spanish impression from this but would not rule out it being an Asian import.

11. ritzyvintage

Some are referred to as being a "Throne Chair."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quirky likes this.
  12. Quirky

Quirky New Member

Any ideas on when the original chair was made or is it too difficult to determine?

Draft saved Draft deleted