Featured Unique Nude Swimming Lady Glass Lamp Shade - Rembrandt Floor Lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Michele, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Michele

Michele Member

60F5A8BC-9BC7-499C-9E9D-E892BB6C8554.jpeg 53BCD0F5-95D0-4600-9BAC-29A2577745AF.jpeg 079CB9C9-9724-4586-B4AD-02C9530AA8E6.jpeg 1AF0A146-F611-4ADF-BBE5-6B75C2670377.jpeg BB5A88E8-6A70-4C05-BBB3-C7AB82D3D08D.jpeg AEDF93C9-4B19-4021-BD64-9A98A9424E45.jpeg 24C7610F-63AC-4A84-BB1C-9AB8FABB6420.jpeg Can anyone offer any information on this lamp, especially the unique design on the glass shade? The lamp itself appears to have been rewired (not the nicest cosmetically), but is still fully functional. Thanks for any info you can provide! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2021
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Michele & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

Others will be along to help more but I can tell you that this type of lamp is called a torchiere lamp. The shade reminds me of pieces made by Phoenix/Consolidated Glass but I couldn't find any on a quick Google search. If you look on Google you will see that they did do vases & other pieces with nudes.

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I love it and want that shade!

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

That’s a beautiful lamp and very cool. Looks art deco to me (but don’t really know)

5. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Not Art Deco proper, but from that era. Paint job is awful, but can be fixed. Wouldn't call this motif a "nude" as it is more inspired than that. Nice!

6. bercrystal

Boland, Michele and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Michele

Michele Member

@bercrystal I agree... their designs do look very similar! I didn't have any luck on Google either so far. Thank you for pointing me in that direction! :)

bercrystal likes this.
  8. Michele

Michele Member

Yeah, the paint job is a whole other thing, haha. Thank you for helping give me an idea of the era! :)

9. Michele

Michele Member

Thanks! Not sure what we're doing with it just yet... keeping or selling. :)

bercrystal likes this.
  10. Michele

Michele Member

You've all be very helpful! We're likely keeping it, but the antique collector in me is curious. What sort of value (ballpark) would you guys estimate?

bercrystal likes this.
  11. Michele

Michele Member

7DF0661D-C559-4404-A3EA-6968D36388E0.jpeg 962E0311-1DDA-4902-B50E-85F432C20E66.jpeg D09BE322-22AF-456E-B1E0-C4649D4CB967.jpeg See two small chips on edge and condition of spot that sits in lamp (can't see when assembled).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2021
    bercrystal likes this.
  12. bercrystal

We usually do not give out values on this forum because it all depends on where you live & how you choose to sell it (auction, online, antique shop, etc.). I would not even hazard a guess because I do not deal in this type of item.

Your best bet is to continue to research both online & locally to see if you can find something similar.

Michele likes this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That's the dealer in you. The collector doesn't care, just wants it. :)

Boland, Firemandk and bercrystal like this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice lamp! I personally would not let it go for less than $300. It might be worth considerably more in the right market.

Michele and bercrystal like this.
  15. bercrystal

How would you suggest he clean the brass portions?

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Is it brass or paint? Looks more like paint to me. If brass, would use a good polish and, then, clear-coat lacquer. If paint, strip to see what is under and either polish or re-paint. Value is really in the shade. Agree that the lamp needs to get in better looking shape but the shade will sell it.

17. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I doubt that it's brass. Probably a mix of pot metal and cast iron.

18. Michele

Michele Member

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction with pricing expectations. I have a tendency to be drawn to odd pieces and some I fall in love with and they stay in my collection forever. Sometimes I keep and enjoy for awhile and then resell to buy something else that I love.

bercrystal likes this.
  19. Michele

Michele Member

I appreciate your help and understand your reasoning. Hopefully I didn't offend you or anyone else by asking. I have a tendency to be drawn to odd pieces and some I fall in love with and they stay in my collection forever. Sometimes I keep and enjoy for awhile and then resell to buy something else that I love later on. I will continue to research this piece, as I find it very interesting.

bercrystal likes this.
  20. Michele

Michele Member

It's heavy cast... I would guess cast iron, but pot metal is quite possible too. My Dad's pretty good at distinguishing metals, so I'll ask him. But you are correct, the "brass" is only paint that a previous owner applied.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted