Universe Ceramics... Ashtray?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sav85, Jul 12, 2020.

1. sav85

sav85 New Member

I bought this beautiful piece of pottery today. The seller said it was an "unusual ashtray." I have tried doing extensive research on Universe Ceramics / Heath Ceramics, hollow ashtrays, even searching ceramic mortar and pestles. I cannot find information on this object anywhere! Does anyone have an idea of what it could be / who made it / when it was made? Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Size ? My knee jerk is its some sort of pitcher to pour something out of. I think that little dent at the end is where you put your finger to hold it while pouring . But I could be way off ! Welcome to the board .

sav85, Christmasjoy and CheersDears like this.
  3. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Just a wild guess here....Looks like an invalid or baby feeder. It should have a cork for the hole......you fill it with hot water to keep whatever liquid is in the bowl warm.
    Like I say.......Just a wild guess.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What size is it?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I cannot tell how large it is either?

6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I'm with Bdigger on baby feeder, except I think the 'rest' is for a spoon.

Any Jewelry, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. sav85

sav85 New Member

I think those are good guesses. The bowl isn’t very deep though. Hmm. To those asking about the dimensions, I’d say it’s about 5” wide and 3” tall. I don’t know for sure off the top of my head, though.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  8. antidiem

At 5" the spout would be too wide for a nettie pot - right?
    So, with that thought in mind, I am going to opt for a children's medicine dispenser.

9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

That's a lot of medicine.

10. antidiem

I think if this was a medicinal vessel in the olden days, the medicine would have been much more natural and herbal tonics, rather than prescription drugs. It was just a WAG, I really don't know what this rig was for!?

Draft saved Draft deleted