unknown decrative tea plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by baily-k, Jan 21, 2019.

1. baily-k

baily-k Active Member

any ideas?( sorry spelling mistake in the title decorative )

DSC03928.JPG DSC03931.JPG

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

The decorater used the black object to cover the name of the manufacturer. Looks like it could be Nippon except for the writing.
    Patd

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    They did a nice job on the decorating. I love that plate.
    greg

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that's a Czech 'Epiag' mark under the overstamp...

~Cheryl

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Holy cow! I have a low "bowl" with the same decoration - the guy on the camel, the tent, the fire next to the tent, the mountains and the trees. Only mark on the bottom is the "hand painted" in green. But it also has a metal rim marked EPNS A& Co B. leading me to think it was decorated in England. I'm using it as a cachepot.

The dark color on the rim of the plate - a very dark cobalt blue? Unfortunately the gold embellishment that yours has is only very faint on mine. Somebody must have cleaned the heck out of it.

Still too dark here for me to take pictures.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ah, but we imported Stuff and then embellished it. That whole camel and palm thing was big in the 20s. Howard Carter and all that.

Christmasjoy, judy, baily-k and 2 others like this.
  7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Huh. At first glance, I thought Japanese. They did so much of their stuff, but the Czechs supplied a lot of blanks, so it makes sense. Also, I have never seen a Japanese mark blacked out. Not that that means anything!

8. baily-k

baily-k Active Member

yeah i don't think they are japanese :)

also have these which are tea plate sized the same as the one i posted above i don't know much about them about seems to be plenty online about the earlier samurai stuff , think they are later than the 1930's?

those patterns around the edges are raised looks really nice :)

DSC03920.jpg

DSC03916.JPG

DSC03921.jpg

DSC03921-2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

BF567D49-3368-432B-A03A-53C22F581FB4.jpeg 56C55411-18DD-4F36-A27C-FCF40A54081C.jpeg 48F13798-526F-4AB2-8A8A-8AE3794D5582.jpeg I think Cheryl’s iD of the blank is right. You can see the C on the bottom left.

10. baily-k

baily-k Active Member

well spotted cheryl and thanks for confirming "i need help" so just a czech plate decorated in the uk same as bakersgma thinks her bowl was decorated in the uk :)

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Sometimes the handpainted mark just refers to the trim, and the center is a transfer.

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  12. baily-k

baily-k Active Member

these samurai are more like a dish or little bowl rather than a tea plate £ coin next to one for scale

maybe i should just make a seperate thread for them?

DSC03945.JPG

what this thread is originally about is also deeper than it looks in the picture but not as deep as the japanese ones

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Christmasjoy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted