Unknown furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by dresser, Feb 21, 2021.

1. dresser

dresser New Member

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg I got this from the previous owner with the following provenance: owner's Greek mother came from Greece to US impoverished and always had a dream of owning an expensive bedroom set like this, which she bought either pre-war or post war using every single penny saved. This bedroom set had a matching bed headboard which I did not want (it was re-posted to "free" section of Craigslist on my suggestion and picked up by a woman who drove 2 hours to get it). I am just keeping my collectables in the draws. This furniture is heavy and well made. The only writing in it is "Mengelbord" on the back walls, and a bunch of hand-written numbers everywhere inside. May someone tell me more about it, like manufacturing period and style? I just want to know, and maybe to show off in front of a guest with a fancy furniture style title. Grateful aforehand.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2021
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would think 1940s-50s. Mengelbord may be related to the Mengel furniture company but I am not certain.

dresser likes this.
  3. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

@verybrad Mengelbord was a plywood product from the Mengel Company of Louisville, of which Mengel Furniture was a subsidiary. They sold it to other furniture makers, so furniture stamped "Mengelbord" on the back panel could have been made by anyone. An ad from a 1951 magazine: Mengelbord.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    verybrad and dresser like this.
  4. dresser

dresser New Member

I found a single metallic tack inside behind a draw whilst cleaning. Remember, I know zilch about furniture. I concluded that this tack was to be placed into the wood directly below sides (rails) of a draw, after finding little holes there. I bought plain metallic tacks and installed them in all draws. What a difference!!!! They slide in and out effortlessly, before they were sticking. Amazing!!!

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Drawer, not draw.

6. dresser

dresser New Member

Quite correct, my mistake. English is my 2nd language, and furniture terms is my 3rd.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Tanya likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted