Featured Unknown Gold (Indian?) Pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by quaze, Dec 22, 2019.

1. quaze

quaze New Member

A family member dug this up a few years ago and has tasked me with finding more info on it, any help would be appreciated. IMG_20191222_154326.jpg IMG_20191222_154332.jpg

kyratango, KSW and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The gold tone metal is brass, set in bone. The elephant head is the Hindu God Ganesha. On the back is a mantra in Sanskrit script.
    It was made in Nepal or northern India. It isn't very old, they are still making these. I think it is a village craft from a support program for small craftspeople, not sure though.

Bronwen, judy, kyratango and 7 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Forgot to add, Ganesha stands for overcoming obstacles in life. The flower on the back is probably a lotus, for spiritual growth and purity.
    I got a similar one as a freebie from a charity I sponsor, that's why I think it is connected with a support program.

Bronwen, judy, kyratango and 7 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy, kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and 6 others like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ganesha is my favourite Hindu deity. He gets thrown in the Thames quite a bit.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My son-in-law's family are Hindu. There are Ganesha statues in their kitchens for some reason.

7. Any Jewelry

The only reason I can think of is that he is chubby, so presumably a good eater.;)
    Other than removing obstacles, he is also the patron of wisdom and learning.

Draft saved Draft deleted