Featured Unknown Italian(?) Urn/Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gunmano, Nov 14, 2019.

1. gunmano

gunmano New Member

Dear Pottery Experts,

I have joined Your awesome forum to ask for Your collective expertise concerning a particular piece of pottery I own. It is a blue/white urn/vase, please see the images I have attached. Unfortunately at some point in the past (before I got it) the base has been badly damaged, repaired and filled up completely. Thus, no markings can be observed anymore. After some internet research I came to believe that it has a resemblance to the pottery created around Savona, Italy.

Would You kindly be able to look at the photograph and share Your opinion with me?
    1. Do You think it could have been made in that region? If not, would You have a suggestion for me what I should look for?
    2. If yes, do You suppose it to be an older piece? Or does it seem more recent? Does it have qualities typical of a certain period? If not, do You suppose it is a replica of some sort?

Thank You all in advance for Your hints!
    IMG_20191107_215127.jpg IMG_20191107_215153.jpg IMG_20191107_215213.jpg IMG_20191107_215227.jpg IMG_20191107_215238.jpg IMG_20191107_215254.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, gunmano. That is beautiful.
    Great photos, could we see the base as well?

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Gunmano!

Welcome to Antiquers.......

Sorry to say that I can't help, but others will be along to offer their opinions.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Yes the base please:). And welcome!

It does make me think of Cantagalli pieces so you might look in that direction too.

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome. Great pictures and an excellent explanation. Thank you for sharing your piece. It is very interesting. Sorry I have no expertise to offer you.

Houseful, scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. gunmano

gunmano New Member

Thank You all so much for the warm welcome and the input You have provided.
    I have attached an photo from the base as well. Unfortunately, the base has been completely filled up with plaster(?) when it was repaired at some point in the past, so no markings can be seen anymore.

Thanks for the Cantagalli hint. That came up during searches as well. (That is actually how I came across Your forum.)

The main point of difference in opinion between me and my wife is about whether it is an old object, or some sort of recent replica. During internet research I came to believe that it has to be an antique, as I was unable to find any replica or new item like this.

However, the shape of the body seems to be different from most of the Savona/Cantagalli vases or urns. I actually had no luck finding a matching body shape.

Again, thank You all for Your input. So great to hear from like-minded fellow enthusiasts. IMG_20191114_155546.jpg IMG_20191114_155602.jpg

Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks as if someone stabilized the foot with alabaster gesso.

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Hello, I think your vase is newer, rather than 19thc or so, mainly because of the quality of the details - the central reserves are quite well executed but the foot and field areas are a bit hastily done and lack the usual care we see in older pieces. That points to a later date in my experience.

There is also a very good chance that this vase was once a lamp, imho.

9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Alabaster gesso? I don't think you can apply gesso that thick with any success ..at least I couldn't afford the drying time :bucktooth:

It's just some plaster of paris.

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Paris is also good.

11. John steward

John steward Member

I read your site all the time if you look at the foot rim you’ll
    See it has been damage it has been repair the plaster put on
    Bottom to stabilizing damage, John

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

John, just in case you ever work with gesso. the faster it dries out, the more it shrinks. so most probably it would fall out of a foot as we have here.

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Any Jewelry, Fid and blooey like this.
  14. gunmano

gunmano New Member

That is sad indeed, without even knowing the person. :-(

Thank You for the link. I have checked it out.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted