Unknown pottery info

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Northern Lights Lodge, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi again.
    I've had these for a number of years. Both purchased in Northern Lower Michigan; different locations about a year apart. I've always loved them.

They are certainly "Naturalistic" - I feel quite Art Nouveau era. But, they are enough "different" that I don't feel like they are the same maker.

The fluted pot measures roughly 4 3/4" tall x 6" x 6". The cup shaped large lily pad sets on 4 thorned arched branches. It is adorned with a smaller lily pad and a water lotus. The color is a deep rich green/olive mottled hue with pink and brown on the lotus. There doesn't seem to be a maker mark although it is "possible" that it is signed with an "A"... but it could be accidental also. One little part of the lotus is missing; lightly crazed - aside from that in good shape.

The second is more of a cupped bowl - kind of gourd-like. It measures 4 3/4" tall x 5 1/2" x 5 1/2". The "gourd" sits atop 4 inverted vines. The "gourd" itself is decorated with a unfolding burgundy and white water flower - lily? and a smaller lily pad; on which is perched a darling little dragonfly - who unfortunately has lost most of his wings. Colors in this piece are more olive/brown-town - aside from the dragonfly and flower. The underside has two square indent marks; there are signs that it may have had some printing on the stamp...but are not readable.

Both are nicely made by some sort of professional potter. Not sure what the uses would have been... the first; perhaps a candy dish? the second; perhaps a dish to display a real water lily?

The three photos on the left are of the second bowl and the two on the right are of the first dish.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Leslie at the Northern Lights Lodge

Attached Files:

cxgirl and Aquitaine like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very nice...

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Chinese and not too old.

verybrad and anundverkaufen like this.
  4. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Interesting! It had not even crossed my mind that it might be Chinese...but the square stamps make sense! Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted