Featured Unknown-Purpose Bone Object with Glass Beads on Wire

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, Jan 7, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The shaft is ~4 inches long an' ~0.280" max diameter. the tiny hole in the small end is from the lathe-center...not even 0.010" deep. The wire is ferrous; the 6 bands are probably tin, or maybe lead 'tho I doubt that. 5 of the beads have a 'waffle' pattern, formed from shaping the metal when hot. The narrowest part of the shaft is 0.625 long, and suggests something may have been attached there at one time.
    So...Whatsit? An' where izzit from? The shaft is well-turned, it's nicely finished...an' those 6 metallic bands are significant, but for what? The assorted beads (one missing?), an' the relatively primitive way they're attached seem a bit incongruous, to me. Thanks for lookin'!

4984C0B1-1D5E-46E6-91A2-294A0AE08282_1_201_a.jpeg 2BAED4BD-AC52-481A-9122-DA7F2A75605A_1_201_a.jpeg 7DD0B558-A168-4E4C-AB6E-87DE93A7FC46_1_201_a.jpeg 7138186F-533F-4ABF-9469-AE96571FAE86_1_201_a.jpeg

judy, Figtree3, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

3. wlwhittier

Excellent...Thanks!

judy and tie.dye.cat like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, absolutely a lace makers' cushion bobbin. Seen lots of them.

5. wlwhittier

What is a 'cushion' bobbin?

judy likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Lace is traditionally made on a cushion, the bobbins suspend from the threads.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

@wlwhittier
    How did I miss this query way back in January! Shame on me! LOL!
    Yes, it is indeed a lacemaker's bobbin! The shaft is made of bone and the "tiger stripes" are pewter. Also called a "banded bobbin". The style is a "Bedsfordshire" lace bobbin. The pewter although decorative were meant to add weight to the bobbin which kept tension on the threads that were wound on the bobbin.

In the book "Success to the Lace Pillow by Springett - 1981"; this type of bobbin is identified by the Springett's as one made by "Bobbin Brown of Cranfield" (1793-1872. He may be, perhaps, the most well known of all the bobbin makers of that era. His bobbins were fairly distinctive. The heads on his bobbins always had a very fat bulb immediately above the long neck of the shank, then tapering in to the short neck which gives a rather bottom-heavy appearance to the bulb and the very top is domed. The bottom ends were usually incised with several tiny grooves and the very end was a pointed tail, which makes this bobbin maker's work one that is easy to identify!

The beads were called "spangles" and were also used as decoration; but also added additional weight and prevented the bobbins from rolling which would untwist the thread.

The square beads were called "square cuts" and were melted off a stick of glass one at a time, twirled on a copper wire which made the hole; then pressed on the sides with a file which produced at once the square shape and the peculiar markings on the surface. The glass was obtained from decanter tops and tallow lamps were used for melting it. The big black bead is probably an African trade bead and I don't know what the blue one is.

The "cushion" refers to the working surface to which the lace pattern, pins and bobbins wound with thread were attached. Bedsfordshire lace was worked on a "hill shape" cushion or "pillow" that had a rolling bolster on it.

If you have more questions - please ask...
    It is a really NICE bobbin! :)
    I also replied to @KSW regarding the two bobbins that she posted. You might be interested to go look at them.

Cheerio,
    Leslie

Houseful, mirana and wlwhittier like this.
  8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

A little video of someone making lace using spangled bobbins. Remember you are watching her "backwards" - not from her point of view.
    Leslie

9. wlwhittier

Thank you, Leslie...very comprehensive illumination of the story about my bauble an' its history...I'm most grateful!

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted