Unknown Signature Marks - Blue and White Saucers (Any tips?)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by northbeach, Mar 16, 2019.

1. northbeach

northbeach New Member

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 11.20.48 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 11.20.12 AM.png Dear Friends:
    We have a lovely set of blue and white saucers and cups with different signatures, and wonder if anyone here will be able to give us tips on how to identify these marks? The painting is beautifully executed and the items have a grey hue. These came from an estate but we don't know much about them. Is the one "X" with the "dot" letters or two crossed swords? Thank you for any tips that you may have. Antiques always hold many secrets and studying and researching them is a fun adventure -- and great way to learn about history.
    Have a great day! C.M.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& it's more fun with bigger photo's !!! :hilarious::hilarious:

upload_2019-3-16_14-50-27.png

3. komokwa

4. northbeach

northbeach New Member

Thank you. I am not sure why the full sized photos did not load. Have a great day. C.M.

Mill Cove Treasures, judy and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

because u did not click on FULL IMAGE...;)

6. northbeach

northbeach New Member

Voila! Thanks for the tip. :)

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. say_it_slowly

Oh my, forgot to say Welcome!

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good find, SiS! I knew they looked Dutch but had no idea where to look for the marks.

10. say_it_slowly

(I have some old Makkum pottery so it wasn't much of a stretch:D)

11. northbeach

northbeach New Member

Thank you so much, very helpful! I had sent a note to their factory (they are still open) about the saucers a few days ago, and the link does show the marks as you noted. The dates are still a bit of a mystery as they seem to be much older than noted at the site. The first two saucers I posted appear to be primitive porcelain with chips of (glass?) in them and have very fine painting (but I am not an expert). I also have a few of these (shown below) with different marks and simpler painting styles (not as fine). They seem to be more traditional Delftware with an opaque glaze, and they are much whiter and heavier than the first two examples posted. Do you recognize this mark? Thank you again for your help! C.M. LI-MARK-WHITE.jpg FI.jpg

i need help and judy like this.
  12. northbeach

northbeach New Member

The plate colors are pretty accurate but the mark "FL" or "FI" is not this blue but lighter.

judy and i need help like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Northbeach! :)
    Thanks for showing these, very nice! I can’t offer any help, just to say Welcome! :)

northbeach likes this.
  14. northbeach

northbeach New Member

IF-CUP.jpg And I have a few cups with this mark (this image is much, much, much too blue, the real mark is pale blue) which is shown on that site as 19th century. But the cups seem much newer than the first two saucers with the crossed swords and the "JJ" [Update: probably JT] symbols. The cups also have the opaque white glaze and are not grayish in tone. They appear to be traditional Delftware as they are heavier than the first saucers I posted (that may be primitive porcelain). Not sure if I have this mark upside down or not.

15. northbeach

northbeach New Member

Thank you! :)

i need help likes this.
  16. northbeach

northbeach New Member

Royal Tichelaar Makkum:

1572: Makkum clay in the business of making bricks.

1670: Started making practical pottery for everyday use.

1688 to 1694: Freerk Jans Tichelaar & Jouwer Emes (wife) take over business.

1770: (through this date) Yme Tichelaar, Freerk Jans and Jouwer Emes Tichelaar's son, in charge.

1868: Jan and Jelmer Tichelaar (brothers and decendents) expanded business with new branding as brother's Tichelaar.

1890: Concentrated on more stylish and ornamental earthenware.

1940: Jan Pieters Tichelaar (post WWII) in charge.

2010: Jan Tichelaar represents the 13th generation at the helm of the company.

THARAWAT MAGAZINE:
    https://www.tharawat-magazine.com/family-business-branding/royal-tichelaar-makkum/#gs.19ev4p

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  17. northbeach

northbeach New Member

Now if I can only figure out where my works fit into this timeline. I think what I called "JJ" may be "JT" instead. Not sure. Also, in Dutch "Y" for Yme Tichelaar is probably spelled "Ijme." So we have: J, T, I, F combinations. The above cup might be "FT" for Freerk Tichelaar, for example. His wife was "JT" for Jouwer Tichelaar. So many choices if you rotate the images. :)

18. say_it_slowly

See if these are help to you. They are from the book "Discovering Dutch Delftware Modern Delft and Makkum Pottery" by Van Hook.
    img20190317_095229.jpg img20190317_095249.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  19. northbeach

northbeach New Member

Delightful, thank you for posting this information! :) Our guess is that the single saucer and two cups with the crossed swords and the dots are much, much older and that the others were made (possibly as copies) in later decades. Still searching for examples, this list of names is invaluable. Thank you again.

Note: I am considering the possibility that the one marked with crossed swords and the dot may be from another maker--and the pattern was copied by Tichelaar. Or an earlier Tichelaar copied by the factory in later years.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  20. northbeach

northbeach New Member

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 3.41.50 PM.png Makkum used the swords in later marks (it seems).

Draft saved Draft deleted