Unmarked Dutch (?) Silver Help

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Christopher, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

20160813_201335-1600x981.jpg 20160813_201315-1600x941.jpg This Dutch (I think) repousse fruit bowl with tavern scene tested as silver at my local jeweler. But, the only mark I could find on it was this tiny, hand scratched number. I thought ALL production silver was required to have an assay mark. If anyone has an idea of possible era or origin or may know what this number means your input would be greatly appreciated. Kindest Regards, Chris.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You are right about the marking requirement for solid silver items. Dutch marks can be rather small, but with as many as would be expected, you'd be sure to see them.

I think you need to look again. There was a fad for Dutch style here in the US (where are you?) in the 20's, almost all of it silver plate.

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Can a photo of the backside be loaded? The numbers could be a repair shop's inventory number as there appears to be a number of solder repairs on the piece,largest one at the 3 o'clock area.

4. Christopher

I looked as closely as I could with my 20x loupe and the jeweler looked it over as well. He said we may have better luck if we cleaned it but I haven't decided to do that yet. He tested it, fairly deeply in an inconspicuous area and it tested as "coin or better". He also pointed out a white spot on the back where it looks like some (less careful) person acid tested it. I may have to break down and have them clean it and look again.

5. Christopher

I will get a picture of the back when I get back home. I did see a couple of spots that look like they may have been repaired.

6. Christopher

20160813_224502-1600x1114.jpg sorry about the glare.

7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I don't see any evidence of hallmarks. And most European and British silver is pretty strict about that.

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

As Bakersgma suggested, Dutch marks are quite small - if present they will most likely be scattered on the front of the piece, probably in the center scene, but could be on the border. Frankly, even when my eyesight was sharp, there've been times when Dutch marks eluded me, even with a lighted 30X loupe, often taking several tries to locate them (sometimes a faint impression from the stamp can be seen on the back). From the construction and look, would suspect it is silver rather than plated, though the Dutch also produced plated versions - and acid tests aren't always reliable.

All that said, it's not necessarily Dutch - similar pieces were also made in other countries, as said, most, but not all, American pieces were silverplate, have also seen German pieces, one really awful version from Indonesia, and my Mom has a mid 20th century version from Israel - but would expect any of solid silver to have some sort of marks...

http://www.925-1000.com/Fnetherlands_Date_Code.html

~Cheryl

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted