Featured Unmarked Miriam Haskell double strand necklace?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Elen Beattie, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello all! Any Miriam Haskell experts here? I just found these pearls (faux) at a thrift store, and I just couldn't leave them behind. They are large, heavy and quality, strung on a thin metal link chain. Do you think they are unmarked Haskell? I just posted on a Facebook jewelry group, but I am also posting here for any expertise or insight you may have. Thank you!
    Image - 2022-11-20T155843.711.jpeg Image - 2022-11-20T155919.052.jpeg Image - 2022-11-20T155922.390.jpeg Image - 2022-11-20T155927.245.jpeg

Figtree3, judy, KSW and 3 others like this.
  2. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Why do you think they may be Haskell? There’s nothing glaringly Haskell about them in my opinion - Many hundreds of companies made similar double strand faux pearl beaded necklaces, and this could be made by any one of those.
    Were these found with other Haskell pieces? Trying to understand why you believe they may be…. Have you compared them to known Haskell pieces?

At this point Haskell would have been using the little oval brass tags on pieces like these.
    An aside - there is something odd going on with the clasp on your piece - I can’t quite tell what’s happening there.

judy, pearlsnblume, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. Elen Beattie

Hi there, thanks for your input. Could you point me in the direction of the other hundreds of companies that did similar? I would love to take a look! I don't know Haskell at all, the large baroque style faux pearls made me think it possible, to answer your question as to why I would think so. I am here to learn. Thanks :)

judy, pearlsnblume, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Could you point me in the direction of the other hundreds of companies that did similar?

:(

judy, Any Jewelry and Elen Beattie like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I can see where you are coming from. That chain with the ridged connectors is very MH and the pearls are similar of her designs. Worth doing some research on the chain to see if exactly that type is present in signed examples.
    There would have been plenty of copy cat pieces made at the same time to simulate MH’s successful designs but I think you need to look at a lot of examples to make a judgement. Sadly in the end it is unsigned, maybe got restrung/ reclasped along the way and you may not be able to come to a firm conclusion.
    I found this one which is similar for you to compare.
    Good luck!
    18E40D9E-6B34-4BA4-B120-0F9C77D7A753.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Also do some research on MH hooks, I can’t remember the detail but they are quite specific.

Figtree3, KikoBlueEyes, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. Elen Beattie

Thank you! I will do that :)

KSW, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The end-connectors on the one you posted are also quite specific, would that also be a clue?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    KSW, KikoBlueEyes, judy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Figtree3, KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. Elen Beattie

Thank you, this is a great resource and just what I needed - much appreciated!

KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. Elen Beattie

Thanks for your input, everyone! From reading through @Marie Forjan 's very helpful link, it looks like the hook clasp necklaces like these would have been marked and therefore this is unlikely to be Haskell. Still a very pretty necklace IMO :) I meant to post these other pics and forgot!
    Image - 2022-11-21T090237.049.jpeg

Figtree3, KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. Elen Beattie

13. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This is the place to learn. If we knew the answers, we wouldn't be asking the questions.

Figtree3, IvaPan and KSW like this.
  14. Elen Beattie

My sentiments exactly, thank you :shy:

KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It certainly has quality, anyhow.

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Please don't ever be afraid or embarassed to ask questions. None of us know all the answers, we are all here to learn.

Sometimes people have an off day, and replies can sound irritable. We all have our flaws. I certainly do.:facepalm::bag::hilarious:

17. Elen Beattie

Thank you, I appreciate this!

Draft saved Draft deleted