Featured Unmarked Salt Glazed Large Lidded Pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Suzy, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Suzy

Suzy Member

Would anyone know anything about this pot? I can't seem to find any similar ones online apart from some that were produced in Australia called Bendigo.

Measures 10" height (with lid) and 29" circumference (widest point).

Not sure of it's worth (if it has any) or where it was made etc. Any help/knowledge greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0879.JPG IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0879.JPG IMG_0880.JPG IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0884.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I've always called this sort of shape with lid as a "bean pot." Whether actually used for cooking beans it's hard to say, but certainly for food.

Here in the US this brown glaze is often called "standard glaze" and is not "salt glazed" that I know of.

3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Suzy and scoutshouse like this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

"primitive" biscuit jar?

Suzy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree with Bakers - bean pot

scoutshouse and Suzy like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My initial thought.....lift the lid and looking for a pot full of baked beans!!!! NICE!!

scoutshouse and Suzy like this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

In France, it would be a marmite.

A bread crock is a different thing, it's an earthenware vessel with a lid which you store bread in.

[​IMG]

scoutshouse, Suzy and i need help like this.
  10. janetpjohn

I will be sure to take one on my next safari if I run out of zip-lock bags.

11. Suzy

Suzy Member

It gha
    Thank you ! I've delved a bit further and am coming up with all sort of descriptions that I am having to check the dictionary for! Ferruginous glaze....try saying that with a mouthful. I think you are right about the bean pot - thanks for coming back to me :)

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. Suzy

Suzy Member

13. Suzy

Suzy Member

Brilliant - thank you !

14. Suzy

Suzy Member

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Jmho. Newer make, marks of lathe hint towards massproduced halfware made afte 1920s, so not antique . The color hints towards germany and is called cologne brown. I rather think for gurken or cornichon, nobody eats beans except people who like the runners.

Suzy and scoutshouse like this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I!ve never seen a marmite in this form and material in France. most are cast iron.

Suzy likes this.
  17. OrganisedKnots

OrganisedKnots New Member

I'm very late to this discussion, but I have an almost identical one in daily use in my kitchen. It's a bread crock. Mine originally belonged to my Welsh great-grandmother (1859-1949) and then to my grandmother (1894-1990). They kept bread in it on a marble slab in the pantry.

18. janetpjohn

How about a picture?

19. OrganisedKnots

I tried but was completely unsuccessful in uploading them, I'm afraid, despite many attempts and despite reducing the file size.

20. OrganisedKnots

P4100967.JPG

Aha! By the magic of double clicking. Here's the outside. I have photos of the inside as well and can post if they'd be useful. The inside of the body of the crock is glazed, the inside of the lid is unglazed. So pretty much identical to the photos posted by OP.

Draft saved Draft deleted