Featured Unmarked sterling pin...any thoughts to where/when made ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Calico, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

I have this unmarked sterling (tested) pin I could use some help on. It gives me a Scandinavian vibe but I don't get much of that jewelry so I'm not very knowledgeable on it. The nibblings at the edge are tool marks, no words I can make out. The stone tester needle overlaps in the 3 Emerald Tanzanite Quartz fields.
    Weird clasp, the Y shaped piece flips up to hold the pinstem tight to the C clasp.
    Thanks for any help.
    CURVE1.jpg CURVE2.jpg CURVE3.jpg CURVE4.jpg CURVE5.jpg

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It's a handsome piece. I would think that unusual latch might be a clue.

Does it have sort of a gold wash, or is that just the lighting? Looks sort of 1950's to me, maybe eastern European? Just guessing here.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    kyratango and toomanytocount like this.
  3. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

It has a sort of patina which is most evident around the applied accents, my flash really brings it out, it's not as noticeable in hand. Thank you !

kyratango likes this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Who ever assembled it did a good job,there are at least 25 solder joints and no solder running into the line graver marks.The stone looks a little like tourmaline,but the reflected sparkles are strange.Almost anyone could have made it.

kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  5. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you Holly. I took a few photos of the stone, it's translucent, the occlusions are deep inside, not too near the surface. curve6.jpg curve7.jpg

kyratango and toomanytocount like this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The lighter color in the photos are from flux when the pieces were soldered,the darker areas look like there was no boric acid solution applied so it oxidized when soldering.

kyratango, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The twigs remind me of eucalyptus.
    Could be an Australian brooch with an Australian emerald. Most of my Australian jewellery is not marked either.

8. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you Any ! I'll start looking there. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

I was thinking emerald too, surprised they did not leave the back open, perhaps there is an added coating to the closed gemstone base for brilliance. Very interesting piece of jewelry. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted