Featured Unseen Beatles film reel. Copyright questions.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by benbenny007, Nov 10, 2017.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

I have a film reel of the Beatles dating around the end of their careers . It is a documentary which never was released with many unseen footage. It is marked in pen with the title and the word copyright.

Don't know much about copyrights and was hoping somebody here knows. Not so sure what to do with this? I was maybe planning to offer it for sale? or maybe create DVDs of the hole documentary and seel them?

Am I allowed to do this?

Or is it worthless because of the copyright?

Any info/input is welcome.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

If the film was copyrighted by an individual it does not become public domain until 70 years after the creator's death and for corporate copyrighted films it is straight out 95 years. So I don't think the copyright has expired (if there truly is one) but you can still sell the original copy; copyrights are to protect the creators right to copy and distribute the piece of work but you could still sell your original copy. If the footage is unseen I'm sure it has value, but yes it probably is lowered because of the copyright. :)

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I would still make a copy just for preservation.

4. benbenny007

yes 70 years. I've read something like that on Google and thought let me double check here to be on the safe side.

What a shame. Was hoping to make DVD copies and sell these separate. Hmm...

Also got a film reel with 'sound only' of Jimy hendriks when he was playing at Woodstock. Doee this also has value? And could it also be copyrighted?

5. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

It could but if it looks like someone's homemade video it probably isn't;
    and yes I think that might have value. :)

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Research its supposed copyright and see.
    I hope it isn't!!! :)
    We here have option on the first copies!!!! :)
    ~
    I have many old 'B' horror movies in their 80 ton metal carriers :p and I have the same issue.
    I have 50' film reels of Charles Lindbergh and the Spirit of St. Louis which were taken by one of the build crew!!!
    Of course these are not copyrighted but I've been terrified :( of having them put to a different media to perhap sell DVDs as well. :)

judy, benbenny007 and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Have you looked it up to see if it actually has a copyright?

benbenny007 and KingofThings like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:happy::happy::happy:

judy, benbenny007 and KingofThings like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

judy and benbenny007 like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

No.:)
    That was John and Yoko, this is the Beatles. And J. H.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  12. komokwa

similar.....no ?

KingofThings, judy and benbenny007 like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

14. benbenny007

Yes it is related. I also have the film reel of John Lennon and Yoko Ono. I have a total of 12 related film reels, some which I already have researched and some still need research. I think that the previous owner was a producer or such? I did not want to mention this here incase I offer them in the future to somebody and didnt want the person to stumble on this topic. That is why I also spelled some names wrong etc.

But yeah. I think I'm sitting on something.

KingofThings and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. komokwa

Sounds like you could use a good business lawyer....
    just writing copyright on something...don't make it so....

Selling copies ....take 4 ever.....i'd offer it it a network.....or even a web broadcaster......the whole kit & kaboodle.......for a nice fat sum......after you've worked out your rights!

KingofThings, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. benbenny007

No probs. If I am allowed to issue DVDs of these than all you guys will get the first copie for FREE.

I can remember that you mentioned the Lindbergh reels last time. What are you planning to do with them.

17. benbenny007

Yes that is maybe the best. I do need somebody with expertise who can help me with this but wanted to do my research first.

. What do you mean with offering it to a network or a web broadcaster. I thought that I can make more with selling single copies. There are a lot of Beatles fans out there. It could maybe take ages but I will have a life time income. (If its not copyrighted ofcourse)

KingofThings and judy like this.
  18. benbenny007

No I did not. I did some research on internet but couldn't find anything. I have never dealed in these kind of subjects so no knowledge about this at all. Is there a special website where I can find this and how do I do this.

It only reads Beatles documentary and the word copyright in a diamant shape square. This is written by hand in pen. No titles or introduction at the beginning of the movie or else.

Ive been watching Beatles clips etc for the last 2 months now and could not find similar.

19. komokwa

Yes..there are tons of Beatles fans....
    so what.....do you want to be shipping DVD's the rest of your life ???
    & for what...? $125....$59.99......$14.99.......
    & then there's bootleg......if they were to start selling......some clownfart would be 1st to load it up to U tube.......& your sales would DIE a fast death !!

But.....like a PBS.....or music station......or HBO.......I'd think they would want to broadcast these films & recordings....for wide public showing......IMHO...

20. Any Jewelry

Just edited my post so the name you deliberately spelled wrong looks different. Don't want to spoil it for you.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted