Unsigned Miriam Haskell

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I have a small collection of signed Miriam Haskell jewelry plus several pieces that I've been trying to determine if they're unsigned Haskell. I have the Cathy Gordon & Sheila Pamfiloff 2009 Miriam Haskell Jewelry book, and have also searched "Haskell" on this site and have looked at thousands of pictures of signed and "unsigned" Haskell jewelry on other websites, but haven't been able to find examples exactly like some of my pieces. I would appreciate any opinions on whether the following pieces are unsigned Miriam Haskell jewelry.

BambooNecklace.jpg CelluloidPods.jpg CelluloidFlowerNecklace.jpg bakelite-celluloidnecklace.jpg

According to Cathy Gordon, the spring-ring clasps with a small band/lip on the opening (like those shown in the above photos) were used on most Haskell jewelry that didn't use the hook/tail fastener. However, I have a necklace with the Haskell hang tag that has a spring-ring clasp that does have the extended metal piece as shown in the photo below. SpringRingClasp.jpg

So, I'm thinking the baroque pearl, coral, and glass bead necklace shown below might be unsigned Haskell.
    PearlCoralNecklace.jpg

I'm also wondering about this brooch. The beads are wrapped with what looks like silk fibers. The back is pierced celluloid.
    Brooch.jpg BroochBack.jpg

Has anyone seen similar examples of any of these jewelry pieces, or have opinions on whether any could be considered unsigned Miriam Haskell jewelry?

Xristina and Pat P like this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Great photos!

I don't have experience with Miriam Haskell pieces, but know that the types of beads in the bamboo/seed pods necklace were popular in the 1970s.

Christmasjoy and Joan like this.
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I appreciate your comment on the photos. Miriam Haskell did use bamboo, wood, seed pods, nuts, and other organic materials especially during WWII; and the spring-ring clasp with the small lip was mainly used in the first half of the 20th century (I usually see it on old watch chains).

Christmasjoy and Pat P like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yup, I've also seen that type of spring-ring clasp on older pieces.

Sorry if I wasn't clear... I didn't mean to imply that those types of natural materials weren't used at other times, just that I purchased similar ones in the '70s. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying.

Christmasjoy and Pat P like this.
  6. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Here's another necklace that I forgot to include above. I've seen similar necklaces attributed to Miriam Haskell, but nothing exactly like this one. I'm wondering if a lot of the unsigned necklaces that people attribute to Miriam Haskell were actually made by unknown companies that copied her style. I can usually tell by the clasp, but this is another one that puzzles me.

BrassLeavesNecklace.jpg

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Dang, what a good problem to have. These are fantastic necklaces. I've been admiring/buying costume for years and can attest that these are all quite special. Would not shock me that many are Haskell. I absolutely love the elongated baroque pearl one. And the celluloid with the flowers is stunning.

You are going to need a real Haskell expert. So many subtleties with this kind of thing. Did you get many of these from the same former owner, or just over time?

Love these!

Xristina, judy and Joan like this.
  8. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I bought them over time at thrift stores and estate sales, and maybe 2 or 3 from antique shops. Do you know any online Haskell experts who give/sell opinions based on photos?

judy likes this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone off hand.

There is a Cathy Gordon on Ruby Lane. I have absolutely no idea if she does any kind of appraisals, I *think* it is the same Cathy Gordon from the book, but that would need to be confirmed. Looks like there is an email link, maybe she could refer someone if she doesn't do it.

https://www.rubylane.com/shop/cathy-gordon-antique-and-vintage-jewelry

judy and Joan like this.
  10. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the lead...I will check it out and let you know if I get a response.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I discovered that I'd need to open an account at Ruby Lane in order to send a message to Cathy Gordon, which I decided not to do -- at least for now.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted