Featured Unsigned painting - city/street scene

Discussion in 'Art' started by aaroncab, Jun 6, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Not sure if gouache or oil... I'm no good at ID'ing paint types. could be just another factory painting but the colors and execution to me don't really seem like that. Seems like the sun coming out after a rainstorm.

Unsigned as far as I can see - haven't taken the stretcher out of the frame yet. Frame is cheapo which makes me perhaps lean towards factory production too. The canvas doesn't seem much older than mid 20th to my eye - attached with staples, not tacks. Either way at the thrift store price - I was struck by the colors and light in it - so definitely good enough to bring home.

Any thoughts on origin?

24 x 20 inches. (61x51cm)

Pics:

painting-a.jpg 27755132737_2ef870daa1_kdev.jpg 27755132467_ffaae15c30_kdev.jpg 42573453002_374a8a13bf_kdev.jpg 41723609525_dc3fea26ba_zdev.jpg 27755135077_862c827f5f_zdev.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It doesn't strike me as being a typical factory style. Other than that, I got nuthin.

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

i absolutely love that, not like any factory painting ive ever seen !!

Christmasjoy, judy and aaroncab like this.
  4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

it draws you right in

Christmasjoy, judy and aaroncab like this.
  5. aaroncab

Yeah it does that to me too :)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. aaroncab

Took it out of the frame - still can't find a signature.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

AF81EBFD-A3E9-441B-A62A-6F953B3A0E84.jpeg Maybe take some pics of corners and bottom, then enhance?

8. aaroncab

There are definitely some very nice colors in this - messing around with color profiles on the pictures really shows how interesting it is. I took pictures of the border all the way around - sharpened, HDR'd ...etc...alas...really nothing that looks like a signature or letters.

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Too bad, no signature, I guess you will have no choice but to keep it. ;)
    It is nice as it is, but also nice with different light settings!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

At first, I did not see how many people are actually in it, until I zoomed in!!! It's really quite intriguing!! That blast of light makes you want to look around the corner to see more! Very neat:happy::happy::happy:

11. Aquitaine

Hi @aaroncab....I also played with your image.....I lightened it considerably and came up with 4 areas where there appears there "COULD" be writing......but it's so dark most are very "iffy".....the ONE area which piqued my interest most is up in the sky in the GREEN area to the left of the white area.....I outlined it in red.....there definitely are some letters and almost some sort of insignia???? Maybe it to is nothing, but I had the image up at 200 res when I noticed it, and then it showed even at 100%.....the long red rectangle at the bottom is just tooooooo dark to pull anything out.....You know you can hold the "CTL" key on Windows down and scroll UP/FORWARD to enlarge your computer screen, right???....even after you enlarge the full image......

ZZZpainting-a.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Part of me thinks its very good,and part of me thinks it might be tourist art,albeit good tourist art. I love it,Id have bought it!

13. aaroncab

What a very odd place for there to be a possible signature...but I just looked looked at it w a magnifying glass and it does look like that could be writing. I'll see if I can get closeup pics of that area. I did see those other areas you are talking about when I looked, and I on closer inspection they don't appear to be lettering, but the one in the middle - we'll see.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  14. aaroncab

@Aquitaine - here are some closer ups of the possible writing/signature - I can probably get a better one tomorrow when the sun is back out :)
    2nd one is with flash. Almost looks like L Tiars or something like that - honestly not sure it's writing but...could be. possiblesig.jpg 28760289458_fbec9415be_odev.jpg

15. Aquitaine

For Fun.....Has anyone counted how many people you/we think we/you see?????:hilarious: I get......I think.....9!!

16. Aquitaine

@aaroncab ....this is the best I could blow it up.......the left side is what is actually there, and the right side is what I traced as what I think it says on the left.....don't know if you agree or not....BUT WAIT!!!!! I don't think it could possibly say 2020......it's NOT EVEN HERE YET!!!! That would be SO BIZARRE!!!!! Ahh well....I HAVE to quit for the night!!! Sweet dreams!:yawn::yawn:

ZZZPossSign.jpg

17. aaroncab

Thanks for your help Aqui! I'll let your interpretation sink in and see if anything jumps out at me!

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. aaroncab

I'm not seeing more than 7 - and I'm doubting a few of those - but certainly more than first meets the eye.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Aaron, I love the colours.
    It could be French. Reminds me of 'Singin' in the Rain'.

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  20. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

Looks like Annecy France because of the colors on the buildings.
    It's very atmospheric. I like it too.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted