Unsigned Rainy Street Scene- Factory Painting?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Barn Owl, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I picked up this painting for a couple dollars. It's unsigned. The canvas on the back looks old and brownish, but the corners have been painted white. Any idea of the age? Do you think it's just a factory painting?
    20180410_230302.jpg 20180410_230228.jpg 20180410_230205.jpg 20180410_230201.jpg 20180410_230151.jpg 20180410_230133.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If it's not a factory painting..............................it should be !;)

sch3gsd, Debora and Barn Owl like this.
  3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Haha. I like it, but I wouldn't pay more than what I did for it. Maybe it'll look nicer in a frame.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think it might be a student painting. Probably 1950s, judging by the length of skirts, and what look like possible hats on the ladies.

Barn Owl, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

It's looking very much like one of the Parisian street scenes by female artist Burnett. There's lots of these online, some are Chinese copies the painting style is oil impasto. I sold a signed one recently for about £40 but some go for much more. It's a bit of a minefield due to 2different signatures and some ambiguity about the artists work in that there may be two similar artists.

Barn Owl, judy and NewEngland like this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

The white painted corners you mention are probably gesso primer. The canvas has to be prepared before painting. There has been a thread about this painter and the style here before, if you want to do a search.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Barn Owl and judy like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like a factory painting to me.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think we ALL have bought one like this at some point !

9. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Only one?? My garage has two boxes full of "great works of art":rolleyes:

Barn Owl, judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. DavidC

DavidC Member

The clothes of the subject have no bearing on the work. This is a mass produced piece along with millions of others. Paris scenes are the most painted anywhere. It used to be a "faux pas" to buy a French painted repro but now with the tsunami of fakes coming from Asia....Well if you have a French artist work....You've got something.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  11. DavidC

DavidC Member

There are so many artists. Be careful with the signatures.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted