Featured Unusual Bali carving (mask)

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jeff Drum, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Well at least unusual to me, and not really a mask, since there are no eye holes, and a bit smaller than traditional bali carved masks. I have several of the traditional carved and painted masks, but have never seen anything like this one. I was impressed by the use of the figuring in the wood to embellish the design (notice eyeball, cheeks, chin, hair, ..). So @Any Jewelry , (and of course anyone else who knows), can you tell me what I have, and whether this is a one off or fits in a tradition?
    P1053395.JPG P1053396.JPG P1053397.JPG P1053398.JPG P1053402.JPG P1053401.JPG

Vernlore, judy, Potteryplease and 2 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't think that fits into any tradition.....just a newer funky tourist carving...imo..

3. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

No idea but I think it's really interesting!

judy and Jeff Drum like this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Same here.
    The most unusual thing is that it is signed at all; but rather than the signature of a maker, it is possible that is the name of the person who bought it.

judy and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe A J would recognize the wood type....

judy likes this.
  6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Also noting that Mawi is the name of a particular beach in Bali; so it may indicate the location purchased rather than the carver.
    The wood grain looks a lot like spalting, a marking caused in fallen wood by a fungus. If it had been made in the USA I'd likely guess it to be spalted birch or spalted alder.
    Mawi beach:

Mawi-Beach-Lombok.jpg

Jeff Drum, komokwa and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Good artistic quality and nice use of the wood, but too new for me.
    The interesting thing is that it is carved by a woman, indicated by the word Ni. For a man it would be I. (Pronounced as Nee and Ee).

The terms Ni and I are used for commoners, the aristocracy uses different terms.

2manybooks, Boland, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Forgot to say, Balinese art is not tribal.

all_fakes, komokwa and say_it_slowly like this.
  9. Jeff Drum

I knew it was newish, but wondered if this style of carving, using wood to determine design (as done with some Chinese stone carving) was a “thing” or not. I’m guessing you haven’t seen this before?

Not surprising it was done by a “commoner”, I’m guessing the aristocracy isn’t carving much wood ;)

But I’m confused, is Ni the generic name for all women, or the first or last name of a particular woman, in which case there could be others carved by her?

Or could “Ni Mawi” be a first and last name of some female carver, rather than the name of a beach?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  10. Jeff Drum

Well yeah, but for better or worse, the limited categories on the forum means that this is the category where most of the Indonesian art shows up. I’m just following the herd :D

11. Jeff Drum

Did a bit of googling, and this wood may be “grey hibiscus”?
    Like this Bali carving:
    [​IMG]

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can't help with the wood, but it's very cute!

Jeff Drum likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I have, but I haven't done any research into the more recent styles.
    The aristocracy is carving a lot of wood, as is the priestly caste.:)
    It is. For instance there used to be a female Javanese keris smith who was called Ni Sombro.
    I'm sure there are, but that doesn't depend on whether the carver is a Mr or a Mrs.;)
    Ni is the title, Mawi the name of a location and a person. Just like Washington is, or Lincoln.
    If the colour is as yellow as in your photos, it isn't hibiscus wood.

all_fakes, 2manybooks and komokwa like this.
  14. Jeff Drum

Well, I try to take pics outside, but we had close to a foot of snow so I took this inside. Using old yellowed fluorescent bulbs in this room because my wife doesn't like the new LED ones I bought (hey - it's the kitchen - whatever she wants!). So indeed, less yellow in real life.

Draft saved Draft deleted