Unusual Brass Pot Identification help please

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by paulk4444, Jun 11, 2021.

1. paulk4444

paulk4444 New Member

20210611_093627.jpg 20210611_093229.jpg 20210611_093218.jpg Hi, I picked this brass pot up a few weeks ago. I believe it is used for burning incense and possibly from Egypt. The repair made to the base seems to be an old repair possibility indicates there is some age to it. If anyone could confirm if this pot is from Egyptian and its possible age I would very grateful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2021
    judy likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like a spittoon.

Fid, Aquitaine, Branka and 4 others like this.
  3. paulk4444

paulk4444 New Member

Hi,thanks for your reply, yes it does look like a spittoon. Got me thinking about it even more now. Thing is, the repair to the base seems to be possibly due to the pot being exposed to a prolonged low heat like when burning incense.

Aquitaine and moreotherstuff like this.
  4. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I think spittoon as well. Maybe when they went out of fashion someone tried to repurpose it as something else and it suffered damage.

I love seeing old repairs like that and that lizard is delightful!

5. paulk4444

paulk4444 New Member

Yes very possible, I see where you coming from. thank you for your help :)

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HAHAHA!! Spittoon was my immediate first thought as well, but on seeing the bottom, someone though highly enough to preserve it....and it does look like it probably was exposed to too much heat....so a "conundrum" to ME, it is!!!! If a spittoon, let's hope it didn't leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smuggrin::rolleyes::p

7. paulk4444

paulk4444 New Member

Hi, thanks for taking a look and sharing your thoughts do you think it is Egyptian?

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The decoration is Egyptian, so it has a yes from me. As to the purpose, I have no idea. Burning incense seems very unlikely to me. Putting it down on a hard, possibly rocky, surface a few times too often seems more likely.

9. paulk4444

paulk4444 New Member

Hi, thank you for taking a look and sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated

Any Jewelry likes this.