Unusual chest described as being early 1800’s

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by J Dagger, Feb 3, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

BC577F51-5A20-4EDD-A342-D16E9E2FA9BE.jpeg D77EC380-FE6E-4429-8D8B-55671C36C2AB.jpeg 5DD522DF-42D9-416F-BC4F-98BA5E87093F.jpeg 804E1B15-FFE1-42D1-AA37-530A36F4C7C5.jpeg This is for sale semi locally. I have no plans to buy it but I’m interested to know more about it and I’m sure someone(s) here will know more. Just a learning opportunity. Maybe it’s not that unusual and I’ve just never seen one. Described as being early 1800’s and the paint on inside of lid described as likely original. Not much more to go on. Any info appreciated!

Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, noooooooooooo.
    Top looks like a blanket chest that someone added a drawer and bottom looks to be a cupboard bottom with cupboard top MIA.
    Whole thing is weird, can't imagine what in the world went on here except,
    an entire coven of witches at work? :hilarious:

3. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Looks more late 19th century to me if the drawer is hand dovetailed - if not then it could be early 20th century. Pine construction, the circular saw marks on back indicate not early. Also looks like it started as two separate pieces that were married together. Probably painted exterior originally; once that was stripped it lost its appeal. I doubt the interior has original paint since it is dribbled sloppily on the back.

J Dagger and i need help like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The bottom once held ...something for your bottom. AKA a chamber pot! The top really was a blanket chest. Both are old, but didn't start life together. Buy it if you're going to use it and you like it, but don't bother for resale.

James Conrad and J Dagger like this.
  5. J Dagger

Coulda been the witches again for sure! “I’ll turn you into a ridiculous piece of furniture my deary”

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

Ghopper1924 and J Dagger like this.
  7. J Dagger

Thanks y’all. I’m getting a little better. I did think the top was a blanket chest, I didn’t think it was original paint, and I didn’t think it was quite that old (though maybe it is but I was also thinking a little later that century rather than early).

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. J Dagger

Honestly I think it’s crazy look is kinda cool which is why I asked about but still no plans to buy.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. J Dagger

Can you point me towards the circ saw marks? Not sure I know what you’re referencing here and I’d like to. Thanks.

10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

On the back. The very bottom piece of wood.

J Dagger likes this.
  11. J Dagger

Hmm not sure I see it still. Do you mean just the cut along the bottom?

Draft saved Draft deleted