Unusual China ceramic-lidded box

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Becky Dahl, May 23, 2022.

1. Becky Dahl

Becky Dahl Member

I picked this up in a thrift store to use as a spice jar in my pantry, and some searching proved it to be quite unusual. According to a listing on 1stdibbs, this piece is 1950s Chinoiserie. I've found a couple others online but only the 1stdibbs posting identifies it with a particular era. The body is brass and the lid is ceramic. loin.jpg 2022-05-23.png

bercrystal and judy like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Chinoiserie is a style, and can be of any date. This is shardware: an old piece of porcelain used to make something new. It's still done.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And Chinoiserie is a Western style inspired by Chinese styles, it is not Chinese.
    It seems to be a toothpick box, in this case more of a Chinese shape. I think it is Chinese made, so not Chinoiserie.

You can use it for anything you like, of course. I use Chinese toothpick boxes for all sorts of things, but not for toothpicks.;)
    It looks like the porcelain roundel was made for the lid. Agree, it could be fairly recent.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. Becky Dahl

Becky Dahl Member

Thank you all for the info! It's super cute no matter the age, and it makes an excellent spice jar

6. Becky Dahl

Becky Dahl Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Of course, Thailand.:banghead: The roundel looks much more Thai than Chinese, and they make a lot of brass objects.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They're copying shardware. ;)

Figtree3, bercrystal and NewEngland like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's ironic!

Draft saved Draft deleted