Featured Unusual Cloisonne Design Vase - top pictorial w/ Bird, bottom geometric

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gimbler-dave, May 6, 2018.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

I'm looking for any information about this larger size piece. The top has a lovely pictorial design featuring a single bird among foliage and flowers. The bottom portion is quite different, with a geometric design featuring many six-sided objects in various patterns. I've included a shot of the bottom, but the person that found it speculates that it has been repaired and you are not seeing the original surface. It looks that way to me too.

The vase measures 12 inches high and weighs a bit over 2 pounds. I didn't have a good shot of the interior to share, but the blue coating covers the entire interior surface. Some white material is seen on a portion of the bottom, and is perhaps the patch material.

I'm looking for descriptive words, and ideas on the origin, and any thoughts as to the age of the vase, and quality of workmanship. Thank you! Dave
    db_bird_01.JPG

db_bird_02.JPG
    db_bird_03.JPG db_bird_04.JPG

db_bird_07.JPG
    db_bird_06.JPG db_bird_05.JPG

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

VERY PRETTY!! Crisp and clean!!! :)Age though....I haven't a clue.....the bottom looks like an impression of a sideways (facing forward) view of "The Thinker".....that's about all I've got!!!!

3. gimbler-dave

Wow - I see "The Thinker" too, maybe the Flintstones version!

4. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Japanese cloisonne around 1900 IMO.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, Japan, probably a little earlier. Those kimono or fabric designs (six-sided) were very popular in the late 19th century. In this case the designs resemble 'kamon' or 'mon', Japanese crests.
    It is a very beautiful vase, but I think the white stuff on the base, and the fact that you can see something white on the inside as well, means this could have been a lamp base, or a vase made into one. That reduces the value a lot, I'm afraid, in spite of the beautiful workmanship.
    Some descriptive words: Meiji period, lotus, crane, cloud motifs, mon or kamon, and kimono or fabric designs.

6. gimbler-dave

Thank you A J - great info. You've made me decide to include the view of the interior that I have, enhanced so the surface details are visible, although not color true. Looking at it makes me think it was not a lamp, but will be curious what everyone else thinks about it. It is digitally brightened a couple of different ways, but the mostly blue interior gets lost in the process:

db_bird_08.JPG

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

You're right, it was not a lamp base, which gets the value closer to what it should be. Maybe a carved wooden stand was once fixed to the bottom, I had that with a smaller cloisonné vase once. It came off and had the same whitish stuff to attach the two. It looks like plaster, but is harder.

Edit: Forgot to say, the mon could be the family crest of the maker, though not necessarily.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Christmasjoy, gimbler-dave and judy like this.
  8. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

It’s gorgeous. Such a nice quality compared to all the modern “brassy” cloisonné you tend to see. Care to sell it in Australia?. :rolleyes:;)

9. Any Jewelry

We hardly get the good stuff outside Japan. But it is out there, here is a stunning vase:
    [​IMG]
    From a collection of beautiful mid to late 20th century Japanese cloisonné:
    http://www.talismanlondon.com/shop/all?collection=673

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Christmasjoy, gimbler-dave and judy like this.
  10. gimbler-dave

Hello AuDragon - it is on eBay now. I did the listing for a customer - they ship internationally if you are interested.

Thank you everyone for the comments and observations! Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted