Featured Unusual figurine girl with bonnet

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jeff Drum, May 12, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

When I see porcelain figurines at estates here in the US they are either Hummels, or sometimes German-made, 18th-century-dress, model-types prancing around based on classic Meissen figurines; or more often badly made Japanese copies of the same. But this one is definitely none of those, so I wonder when and where it would have been made. Needs a better cleaning but I was being conservative. 8 inches tall. All I can make out for marks are impressed "No. 18" and "84" where "No." and "84" are stamped but 18 is handwritten, and red mark "65".

P5122503.JPG P5122504.JPG P5122505.JPG P5122507.JPG P5122508.JPG P5122512.JPG P5122510.JPG P5122511.JPG P5122509.JPG

NewEngland, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Oh she is SO sweet !!! .. LOVE IT !!! .. Joy. :):):)

3. Jeff Drum

Thank you. I went back to try to take better pics of the markings. I tried the "cinnamon" trick. Actually I first tried the "cayenne pepper" trick, and have to recommend against anyone else trying that one. I grabbed the cayenne pepper since my wife is (an amazing cook) from New Orleans so that is much easier to find. Unfortunately it doesn't work well on pottery marks - and when you blow it off to get rid of it you'll probably end up breathing some of it in. Stick (sneeze) to cinnamon (sneeze).

I think the impressed mark is "No."; please let me know if you see something else. I'm assuming this is either English or German (again, let me know if you think otherwise). Unless someone can recognize the distinctive looking "No." mark, I'm going to go with English since that makes sense for abbreviation of number. Any other thoughts? @blooey @Bakersgma @say_it_slowly @i need help
    P5152516.JPG P5152514.JPG P5152515.JPG

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    I was laughing before I got to the inhaling part.:hilarious:

I would go with German not English. Basing this on the way her face is painted.
    I believe these were popular and being remade in the 1960s.

@Christmasjoy do you know what German doll makers were still in business from the 1960s and after?

i need help and Jeff Drum like this.
  5. Christmasjoy

Sorry Cc .. I really have no idea regarding the more modern dolls .. sorry I can't help ... Joy. :(

i need help and Jeff Drum like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

I was thinking this might be one of the old doll makers who also made figurines. Was wondering who might have still been in business in the mid 1900s. (gee - mid 1900s sounds so funny:jawdrop:)

7. Jeff Drum

You know, I am of the opinion that this is older than mid 20th century. I think late 19th or possibly earlier before marking by the country of manufacture was mandated. You said they were being remade in the 1960's - can I ask when they were originally being made? Can anyone recognize the clothing time period?

i need help likes this.
  8. Christmasjoy

I don't think that the clothing she is wearing will be able to date her as the designer would chose any costume that pleased him no, matter when the figurine was made. She is lovely .. Joy. :)

9. Jeff Drum

Oh, I completely agree. It would just give an "earliest possible date" at which it could have been made. Like a Chippendale style chair can't have been made before mid 18th century; though it could have been made last year too.

i need help likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

Ok, dolls are not my area at all.
    This is a page of German half dolls, popular in the early 1900s. I know these are glazed, and your figurine is bisque.
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=german+half+dolls&FORM=HDRSC2

However, many of the half dolls were made by the German doll makers, some also made other porcelains, such as figurines.

Look at their faces. Notice the way the eyes and mouths are painted. Some like this one is well done. Others not so well
    [​IMG]

That's why I was asking Joy if she knew who was still making in the mid 1900s.
    Many of the doll makers started back in the early 1800s.

Heubach, Goebel, are two that I'm aware of.

Jeff Drum and i need help like this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I would say that your figurine is more German in origin than English.

The half doll Cluttered shows is porcelain. I don't think I've ever seen one made in bisque.

Not Heubach's mark (or Goebel's either).

Jeff Drum and i need help like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

@judy, sorry, couldn't remember who the other doll collector was.
    I wasn't saying it was Heubach or Goebel, those were just the ones I remembered.
    Believe that Heubach did make bisque figurines, - not saying this is one of theirs.
    Only that the doll companies were known for other things as well.

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I probably have the least knowledge about these, but I’d guess German.

14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Cluttered..........

No apologies needed, and I knew you
    had to be aware that the mark was neither Heubach or Goebel, but some others may not.

Definitely Heubach made bisque, and they are some of the finest.
    Their piano babies are wonderful.

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

@Jeff Drum............

Have you looked for a mark on the rear /sideof the base? It would be impressed and easily overlooked.

16. clutteredcloset49

Good point
    Thank you for thinking of it.

Jeff Drum, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Conte and Boehm also made bisque porcelain.

18. Christmasjoy

I Googled "BISQUE GIRL WITH A BONNET FIGURINE" and found one that looks very much like yours, pink shoes as well. It may take some time to find her as there's quite a few in there ... Joy.

Jeff Drum and judy like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

German or Austrian, late 19th.

Jeff Drum and judy like this.
  20. Jeff Drum

Thanks, yes I've looked and did again but couldn't find anything new. I think the best shot I have is the "No." mark but unlikely to point to a particular company unless that was a known mark (and sounds like it isn't).

That sounds right to me. I wasn't aware that bisque was primarily Germany/Austria and not England. Thanks!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted