Featured unusual handpainted plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by misun, May 20, 2018.

1. misun

misun Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg

does anyone have any thoughts on this plate?

2. misun

misun Member

I found this plate at the goodwill, the last item left on a cart that had just been rolled out. It had that old smell of lingering tobacco and perhaps incense or perfume.

For the artist of this plate, it must have been no small effort to paint so many dazzling insects. There seems to be no up or down, as to what position it should be displayed, suggesting no formal training on the artist's part. Just my speculation.

I wonder about the plates construction. Is it porcelain? A small chip in the center suggests so, though there seems to be terracotta on the exterior. It rings like a bell.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. misun

misun Member

Thank you!!

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum, Misun! :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THAT is one GORGEOUS plate!!!!!!! AND, before I forget, WELCOME to the Forum, @misun! I checked out AJ's links, and still think yours looks nicer, although all are lovely! The back on your is VERY interesting......the other two have nothing on their backs, while your's looks to have two either parrots or dodo birds in the orange & yellowish dots......at least, that's what I see!!!!! Could that be a signature???? A question maybe for @Any Jewelry!!!

Christmasjoy, misun and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great information, @Any Jewelry -- and welcome to Antiquers, @misun !

I love the plate.

Christmasjoy, misun and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. misun

misun Member

I'm thrilled the dodo bird lives on in abstract detail in the plate construction.

9. Any Jewelry

Ah yes, the famous dodo mark.;) I'm sorry, I haven't a clue. These plates generally don't have a mark, but here is a detail.
    upload_2018-5-20_18-11-59.jpeg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. misun

misun Member

A J - thanks again for the swift reply and abundant knowledge. Yesterday, it was a complete mystery. What a pleasure for the revelation this morning. Though I did have a suspicion it was Chinese, given my close proximity to Chinatown.

At least there was a time when factory workers could still leave their personal touch on an item.

I especially like the errant cucaracha at the bottom. So much lovelier than the real thing.

11. Any Jewelry

It certainly is, and it is just one and will stay solitary.

Christmasjoy and misun like this.
  12. misun

misun Member

Thank you !

13. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

Very Nice and welcome to the forum

misun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted