Unusual Japanese (?) Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, Apr 12, 2020.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Hello Guys !

I have recently acquired a Japanese (?) vase with a seal (presumably of the maker) prominently applied to the body. I am a relatively new collector of Chinese porcelain, but have little or no experience of other oriental ceramics. I wouldn't normally buy more modern porcelain, but was swayed by the applied seal mark. In any case, I don't think I can go far wrong after splashing out a whole five Euros on it - well, you can't take it with you, as they say !!

Is there anyone out there who could perhaps shed some light on the origin and collectibility of such a piece ?

Many thanks in advance, and stay safe. Peter
    087_-1871844417.jpg .

Peter

i need help likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

All I can offer is it is crystalline.

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's very nice. How large is it?

15Stiftgasse and i need help like this.
  4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like studio pottery to me and relatively modern. Can we get a closeup picture of the seal?

15Stiftgasse, blooey and i need help like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not Oriental, studio pot as @Bakersgma said above.
    Not bad, Reminds me a bit of Otto Wichmann's crystallines, (but not his mark).

15Stiftgasse and i need help like this.
  7. Wolfen91

Wolfen91 New Member

I doubt that's japanese

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  8. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Hello again. Many thanks for taking the time to make your comments.
    I forgot to mention that the vase is about 20 cm in height.

As I said in my first post, I have only recently acquired the vase. At the moment it is awaiting my collection about 200km away, as the seller has had problems with breakage of ceramic items which she had sent by post, so prefers collection.

I've checked Google for Crystalline vases, but could not see one example with an external seal applied to the body. Strange. They all seem to be marked or signed on the base , as you might ordinarily expect. So, my next question would probably be : Can any forum readers suggest which specific countries (or perhaps even studios) have been known to use this form of seal ? This might help me at least narrow down the geographical area of origin. I had assumed - wrongly, it seems - that this type of seal was a feature of Japanese wares.

ALSO - I've got a bit of a dilemma, I am considering paying for the vase to be sent to my home address (and accept the risk of damage) rather than the hassle of having to spend the best part of a day travelling, as well as the cost involved. Furthermore, with the Coronavirus situation being as it is, travelling at the moment is not particularly recommended.
    SO - in order to make my decision - it would be helpful if any forum readers with experience of this type of porcelain could give any indication as to how common/rare/desirable such a vase as this is.

ANY comments or opinions will be most gratefully received !

Thank you, and stay healthy.

Peter

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've always heard that a crystalline glaze is difficult to achieve. The piece has to be cooled very slowly to give the crystals time to develop. That said, the pieces I've seen lately have all come from China and the glaze isn't as rare as it used to be. It's a beautiful effect and the notion that it may be new and Made in China (may not be true) doesn't detract, but it would effect the value.

15Stiftgasse and verybrad like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree that this is probably a studio piece and modern. The Chinese versions have mostly killed the market for crystalline glazed pottery. Not a lot of value on the secondary market these days. The best known of the modern crystalline glazed potters is probably John Mankameyer. His vases sell in the hundreds. Few others command as much.

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  12. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

There are quiet a few potters past and present specializing or tinkering in crystalline glazes. Currently, Jon Price, Laguna Beach, Calif is one maker.

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

15Stiftgasse, antidiem and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted