Featured Unusual Knight St George? metal shell pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Feb 20, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This was posted in finds but I’d love to know more about it.
    Initially I thought St George and the dragon but those look like people he’s riding over?
    Base is magnetic, the rest isn’t. Thankyou
    B7050E47-5FF0-43BB-AB3D-D46910110EC6.jpeg E7C3C5E6-42B6-4047-9DAB-E34FBEE673C3.jpeg 695587A8-CE09-49D8-AF33-CC1BD6B97DE0.jpeg A4F187D8-9309-4514-944F-834CE800F0BF.jpeg B094EE7B-6776-4474-82AD-4EF74067AA49.jpeg

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Are you sure its not St. Niccolò Machiavelli?

Bronwen, i need help and KSW like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of anything Flipper!.
    Why do you think Machiavelli?. Apologies if my history is lacking!

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Scallop shells are symbols of Christian pilgrims to the Holy Land. The best construction I can think to put on this is a Crusader reference. It looks like St. George & Archangel St. Michael mashed up into coquillages St. Jacques.

KSW and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou Debora! That’s brilliant of you to know that :).
    Bizarre what people will buy as a souvenir!

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

By 'Moor' do you mean a Muslim? Islam did not come into being until hundreds of years after the time of James. Or is he being invoked as patron saint, with depiction of him engaged in battle more of a folk image? He's not usually shown as an armed equestrian figure:

https://www.metmuseum.org/blogs/in-season/2015/reclaiming-saint-james

KSW likes this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The images I've found on jewellery show him as a religious saintly figure.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. flipper

My guess was in jest...:shy:
    In the field of personality psychology, Machiavellianism is a psychological trait centered on interpersonal manipulation, unemotional coldness, and indifference to morality. A term that originated from the supposed political philosophy of Niccolò Machiavelli. Sorry, I guess I just saw someone stomping on other people to get what they wanted without regard. :phantom:

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I personally don't mean anything. That's who the figure is. Patron saint of Spain.

"Saint James the Moor-slayer (Spanish: Santiago Matamoros) is the name given to the representation (painting, sculpture, etc.) of the apostle James, son of Zebedee as a legendary, miraculous figure who appeared at the also legendary Battle of Clavijo, helping the Christians conquer the Muslim Moors."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_James_Matamoros

Debora

220px-Santiago_Matamoros,_Peruvian_Colonial,_18th_century.jpg

Figtree3, Bronwen, KSW and 2 others like this.
  13. flipper

I was responding to KSW...

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In Spain, he's as recognizable as Mickey Mouse.

Debora

Figtree3, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou Flipper, I’ve heard the term Machiavellian before and know what it means but didn’t know it’s roots so that’s really interesting.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s given me great search terms and I’ve learned about St James!. Now to see if I can track down the same pendant. I suspect it’s tourist stuff but slightly more interesting than the flat medals as the figure looks to have been soldered on rather than made in one piece. Thanks everyone :)

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've a friend who's walked the Camino de Santiago and is very proud of his scallop shell badge. They weren't exclusive to Jerusalem pilgrimages: Canterbury, for example.

And yes, Los Moros are a commonly used trope for depicting a vanquished foe in Spain, regardless of historical dates. They're also used in Catalunya to be paraded round the streets: els gegants moros, who I am very fond of.

upload_2020-2-21_9-47-39.jpeg

Figtree3, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's it. The Spanish battle cry used to be 'Santiago!', and it was used in many battles against the Moors, and later on in the Spanish colonies.

The Spanish Moors were the same as the North African Moors, a mix of Middle Eastern and Berber.
    The Moorish rulers came to Spain in two 'waves', the first more Arabic, the second more North African. The first wave is the one that brought the famous Moorish culture to Spain, with its philosophy and fine arts. The second wave is regarded as not as refined.

Figtree3, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Canterbury is one of the main cities in the British part of the Camino de Santiago. The Camino was a network of pilgrim's roads throughout the western half of Europe (which extends beyond the cultural region called Western Europe):

[​IMG]

Some of the many reminders of the Camino in the Netherlands:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Detail of a 15th century bell in a church in Utrecht, a hub town where pilgrims from the north and east met to continue the perilous Camino together:

[​IMG]

Figtree3, KSW, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted