Featured Unusual necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jun 13, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'm pretty stumped on this necklace so any help gratefully received!.Picked it up at a car boot this morning.
    Is this-
    a) All original?
    b) Dark red beads from one necklace with the foiled glass ones stuck on at a later date?
    c) Dark red, glass foil and clasp all from different sources?
    I just don't know what to make of it!. It's short at c13 inches so a true choker.
    Clasp is marked with what looks like 154 or possibly 754.
    Before I take it apart to mend it I'd like to know which bits should go back together. Missing a glass foil cab so I'll have to do something inventive if they are going back on but the foil will need to be stripped off all of them as so damaged.
    The red beads are confusing too. They sort of look like pressed glass but there is something off about them that doesn't seem quite right.
    Any help please? :)
    Thankyou.
    FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_6345.JPG IMG_6346.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think it's original. Have you tested for bakelite on the back? The foil is flawed, probably glue-damaged, on all of the transparent pieces. I wouldn't worry about it. Czech probably, but I've never seen that construction either.

KSW, judy, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm with evelyb, made this way originally. If anything, the dark pieces were added later. If they had been first, would expect the clasp to have a dark one instead of a foiled one.

KSW and judy like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Only the dark beads are threaded so are the carriers for the foiled ones which are just glued on.
    I didn't think of Bakelite. Good call, it could well be. I haven't got any simichrome as it's not readily available in the uk and when it is its expensive.
    I am going to need to strip it down as it's full of verdigris, old glue and filth!.Also to make it longer and to adapt for the glass foil that's missing.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

More research last night led me to the number being found on some Czech pieces.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. evelyb30

Got baking soda? Good old sodium bicarbonate and a cotton swab can sometimes out-perform Simichrome. That's especially true for red bakelite. Either make up some paste of water and the baking soda, or just dunk a damp q-tip into your box of same. Rub on the back of the necklace, hard. Do it next to your nose and sniff. It ought to turn the q-tip yellow or brown too, but the smell is definitive.

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll give it a go :)
    Any thoughts on the age?

judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. evelyb30

Not sure. I'm going to guess 1930s. The length often gives the game away; the shorter it is, the older it is. Some Victorian chokers were only 13 inches/ 33cm long.

judy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  9. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Find any answers to this mystery? Please post. I get the impression that the back pieces are lacquered and possibly wood. Would love to know what you find.

KSW likes this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

OK, I wasn't going to suggest this, but I figured what the heck!

If I had this piece I would remove all the glass stones and clean off the remnants of the foil with a thick bath of vinegar and salt. After rinsing thoroughly and drying well I would back them with metallic tape HVAC workers use, it is shiny on both sides. I just place the stone on the tape making sure it is perfectly flat and trim it to size with an exacto knife. Then I would clean off each setting and glue the stones back in place.

I know this is not a real restoration because of the use of the metallic tape, but I have done it with other flat backed glass stones and it looks great!!!

kyratango and KSW like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Sorry, I haven't got round to doing anything with this yet but I have decided the only way forwards with this is to completely strip it down and remove the old foil.
    Having done some research it doesn't seem possible to properly refoil stones so your tape idea could be a goer. I have bought some mirror finish spray paint that I was going to experiment with although I suspect even the paint works it may then react with the glue.
    When I take it apart I may be able to identify the dark red stones more easily but I'm pretty sure they aren't wood as they chink like glass. I will update when I've done it but flat out at work at the moment and I need to be able to concentrate on it!.

kyratango likes this.
  12. Marie Forjan

@KSW I tried the mirror paint, it is never opaque enough to give a high shine. Try the tape I talk about above, I got it in a hardware store. I've had really good results!

I cleaned off and used the tape on the two green cabs on a Coro sterling crown pin, the system isn't letting me post a photo right now, I'll come back and try later :(

kyratango and KSW like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Great. I'd love to see it :)
    Is it this stuff?
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-in...VmK3tCh3G_wRBEAQYASABEgKoGfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

kyratango likes this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Here it is. They key is to make sure the foil tape is absolutely flat against the stone. And yes, the link you showed is the kind of tape I used :)

CoroCrftSSRSCrownPin.jpg

Xristina and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted