Unusual Silver Plate Tray is it worth researching further?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Brywil1970, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

This one has me thumped my friendly precious metal dealer thought it was silver at first but after looking more closely just very heavy silver plate. The thing is that it is just engraved (looks hand engraved) #9 L 100/1. It is very well done on the front. It says Pour Le Roy on the banner. From what I can tell Pour Le Roi means for the king, but I don't know what the difference is between Roy and Roi? The only thing I come up with googling Pour Le Roy is a set of guilt silver made in 1740's. Also I would assume some kind of souveneir piece but it has utensil marks from use. Any ideas or should I just not waste my time? Oh and one other thing that is interesting. I believe it has been repaired. It has solder in one of the corners.

TIA, Bryan
    20150302_112145[1].jpg 20150302_112154[1].jpg 20150302_112203[1].jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Le Roy is just archaic French for Le Roi, like ye for the, but it is not a piece from a period when Le Roy (the ancestor of the name Leroy which itself has its origins in the French ownership of Louisiana which itself takes its name from King Louis of France,or Le Roy Louis) would have been normal usage. Armorial style decoration will as a rule use old forms. The letter font is unconvincing.

But I digress.

To me it looks like 19th C Hotel Baronial, an imitation of an old piece to suit a decor scheme.

gimbler-dave likes this.
  3. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

AF I have missed your knowledge, I don't quite come here as much as i did the old Ebay board. Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted