Unusual Small Brass Container

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by cldfltr, May 7, 2020.

1. cldfltr

cldfltr New Member

I found this small 4 inch long three piece solid brass container awhile back and have not been able to find anything quite like it. The bottom piece of the bulb can be unscrewed and so can the tip. The tip seems like it should be a cap, but there is no hole where whatever is inside could be dispensed, so I don't really see a point in it being removable. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Could be just a fun project made on a lathe, doesn't seem to have a particular function to me - just a quirky little stash box?

all_fakes likes this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

cldfltr likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like it's missing a top screw on part...

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Attach it to the matching quirky 1960s bong, using the screw-threads, and you'd never lose your (tiny) stash.
    Seriously, I have no idea, but looks like it was made with some purpose in mind.

Bev aka thelmasstuff and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

Bong.....did u say Bong ???
    :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

all_fakes likes this.
  7. cldfltr

cldfltr New Member

I was thinking the same thing. It does have screw threads where it looks like another piece was attached over the small cap.

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  8. cldfltr

cldfltr New Member

Ha, That was one of the first things I looked at when researching was vintage drug paraphernalia, but couldn't find anything even remotely resembling this.

9. cldfltr

cldfltr New Member

Thanks. Definitely possible that it's just a stash box. The thing that really throws me is the removable tip that doesn't seem to have a function. Seems like a lot of extra work to create the piece like that if the screw on rounded tip doesn't have a function.

10. komokwa

oh, I'm sure it has a function, that we are as yet unaware of !!! ;);)

cldfltr, blooey and Aquitaine like this.
  11. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Possibly Indian ceremonial powder container.
    tray.jpg

12. cldfltr

cldfltr New Member

Funny you mention that because one of the things that I found that looked the most similar was these 19th century Indian makeup containers used to hold kohl, which was a black powder that women used for darkening around the eyes. It is similar, but just doesn't quite fit.

Attached Files:

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Maybe a "mortar and pestle" type of thing where the top that screws off is used to grind or pulverize something normally stored in the bottom? And if there is something missing that formerly screwed onto the top, maybe that was used to measure the pulverized material from the bottom?

All hypothetical, just ideas.

komokwa likes this.
  14. cldfltr

cldfltr New Member

I was thinking that was a possibility as well. It could definitely work as a small portable mortar and pestle. The inner bowl is smooth enough and the metal tip is rounded enough that this could work as a functional portable mini pulverizing tool for a herbalist or an illicit drug user. Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Figtree3 likes this.