Unusual sterling & 14K frog brooch. His legs are handcuffed together?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by GiveMeOldJewelry, Jul 29, 2020.

1. I got this brooch recently & haven't been able to find who made him or (more important to me) why on earth his legs are handcuffed & he is carrying what appears to be a flower pot with flowers. His flowers/flower pot, underwear or swim suit & his handcuff/handcuff chains are all 14K.

In the middle of his body there is a stamp reading MR (with R ever so slightly larger) and one of his feet is stamped 14K STERLING. Does anyone know who made him & what is the significance of the handcuffs & flower pot IMG_5474.JPG IMG_5480.JPG IMG_5486.JPG IMG_5488.JPG IMG_5490.JPG ? Thanks!

wenna and Xristina like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

:happy::hilarious: Why is he wearing pants too? :cool:

stracci likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think he would more properly be called "shackled."

Debora

4. I'm sorry if this is a repeat post, but I can't see my original one.

I bought this from someone who also sold a couple of Sabine Collings sterling & 22 or 24K rings, but they had no idea who did this piece. I don't really feel this is Sabine Collings, since it is stamped MR. When trying to tell you all this, I forgot Sabine's last name, so googled it and came across the piece in this link. Apparently, a different Sabine, but her piece looks to be created in the same vein as my frog. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/347762402476393634/

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The chain might be to hold eyeglasses.

Any Jewelry, antidiem and stracci like this.
  6. antidiem

I cannot say that I think the fish with the crown was done by the same artist as the frog with the handcuffs and pants. Doesn't look like the same artist to me, but I wouldn't say never on this one either! ;)

Cluttered, good call, that chain to hold eyeglasses could be the usefulness.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  7. I don't know about holding eye glasses. There is only about 1" of chain & it seems a bit too delicate to hold anything.

antidiem likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You slip one of the temples (the part that goes around your ear) through the chain and hang your glasses. That way you always have them handy.
    upload_2020-7-29_21-23-13.png

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Decency.:joyful:
    And possibly for protection if it drops the cactus.:inpain::nurse:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  10. antidiem

:hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted