Featured Unusual Terracotta Pot/Urn

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Artisan Cabin, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Artisan Cabin

Artisan Cabin New Member

Hi everyone. I bought this terracotta pot yesterday because it was so unusual. I have never seen another one like it. Does anyone know why it has such a strange shape at the top (a half-circular cut out)? It is terracotta and very large (5ft tall). It appears that it's been painted many years ago and now the paint is peeling off. I would really appreciate some advice as to what it is and the age of it. Many Thanks! Neil Artisan Cabin - Rare Pot 1.jpg Artisan Cabin - Rare Pot 2.jpg Neil

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Artisan Cabin! :)
    It sure is unusual. I look forward to seeing what the pottery folks say.

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It looks like the artisan meant to make it look like a human figure (female), with the wrapped handles serving as "arms", and the wrapping around the "waist". I wonder if there was originally a lid with a head that fit down into the scooped neck.

4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

That is the first thought that came to my mind as well 2manybooks !!! .. Joy. :)

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers, Neil.
    Although the humanoid shape suggests there could have been a lid with a head, I don't see anything inside the neck or rim that points in that direction.
    Maybe there were meant to be trailing plants on either side?

6. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

first,welcome to the forum.i'm thinking about south american/mexican style urn?:rolleyes:

Artisan Cabin and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

It looks Mediterranean to me, either side of the Med. But the wrapping (bamboo, rattan?) around the handles and neck looks more Asian. Although I have seen it in Spain as well.
    I suspect Neil is in the UK. Neil, where did you find it? Europe (including UK), or the Americas?
    The lighter colour is peeling off to reveal the brownish colour underneath, right? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me and is it the other way around?:wacky:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  8. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

if asia is the region,then i think india will be closer to it.i dont think this style kind of urn come from southeast asia or far east,:bookworm:

Christmasjoy and Artisan Cabin like this.
  9. Artisan Cabin

Artisan Cabin New Member

Hi Everyone and many thanks for the interesting replies and for your kind welcomes. Never thought of the human figure idea! Yes, I am in England and I bought the pot from a man who does house clearance, so I had no history with the pot. But the good news is that I paid very little for it! I have searched the internet endlessly and have not seen another one. Yes Any Jewelry, it has been painted at some time in the past and the paint is flaking away to reveal the terracotta underneath. To me, the build and feel of the pot makes it seem about 40 to 50 years old, but it could be older. It is VERY heavy, it takes 2 people to move it. I would still really appreciate more thoughts. Thanks once again! Neil

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I've tried to find similar pots but so far I've not seen any though sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right term.

It could be primarily decorative though with it's massive size and unusual neck I really want it to do something. I keep visualizing a trough sort of thing laying across that scoop neck. So (not based on anything real, just in my head) I'm seeing a long bamboo trough, closed on the ends, with a drain hole over the pot to catch rainwater as it drips from the roof:rolleyes:. Sort of a rain gutter only sitting on the pot instead of mounted on the roof, attached to a very nice rain barrel:).

Ok I'm just making it up but it's what I think every time I look at it.

11. Artisan Cabin

Artisan Cabin New Member

Wow! That's an interesting idea! Many thanks for your input say_it_slowly

12. Artisan Cabin

Artisan Cabin New Member

The more I look at the pot, the more I am thinking African?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Maybe North African? That is one of the regions I was thinking of when I said Mediterranean, either side of the Med.
    Is the original brown colour a glaze? In that case I think Spain could be a possibility, also because of that rattan(?) wrapping.

14. Artisan Cabin

Artisan Cabin New Member

Thanks for that. I don't think it's Spanish, but maybe you're onto something with North Africa. The original brown colour is bare terracotta, not glazed or treated in any way.

15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

16. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Deleted

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  18. Artisan Cabin

Artisan Cabin New Member

Many thanks for that, wow, that is a massive pot! Will contact them. Thanks, Neil

i need help likes this.
  19. Artisan Cabin

Artisan Cabin New Member

Many thanks for the advice. It does look similar! Thanks, Neil

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

sis is right. These were sold to support a big half cut bamboo pipe, so that you could run water down it as a water feature. The paint is original. 1980s ish and they weren't cheap.

Might be Spanish, you still see similar in terracotta pot shops there.

Draft saved Draft deleted