Update and advice on William Hart watercolor painting.

Discussion in 'Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, Aug 7, 2017.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I have received emails from Witherell's auction house and was wondering if this is a good deal or not. anyone who has dealt with auction houses i could use your expert advice.

Here are the last emails i received. the first is after i sent them another email asking why i haven't heard from them
    Mikey

(From Brian)
    Good morning,

My apologize. The email was somehow overlooked.

We would be interested in accepting this on consignment but it's a difficult painting to accurately value. Attached are prices realized on askart in the event you don't have access.

If pressed to assign an auction estimate I would error on the side of caution and put $1,000-2,500.

Kind regards,

Brian Witherell, COO
    Witherell's Inc

(from Me)
    Sounds good to me.
    Should I put it back in the frame? Or as it is?. What happens if it doesn't sell?
    I can bring it to you as I live in the Sac area.

Mike

Good morning,

It would probably be best to put it back in the frame. Our auctions are unreserved so everything sells. The estimate is just a guide for bidders and consignors on what we feel is the approximate value.

Our office is open Monday through Thursday from 9 am to 4:30 pm. Please make an appointment with Aundrea (916) 446-6490 during this time frame.

It would be sold in our International Arts Auction (718MMI01) with an estimate of $1,000-2,500. We'll reduce our commission to a flat 15%. We also charge a $50 processing fee and insure it at 1.5%.

Kind regards,

Brian Witherell, COO
    Witherell's Inc.

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Look, I know nothing about auction houses but...

No reserve? What would the opening bid be?

Isn't your painting Hudson River School? Have you contacted New York auction houses for other estimates/opinions?

Debora

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty typical and their commission reduction to 15% is good. I don't know how common a processing fee is these days. However, you need to look at their track record selling such art. As mentioned, there might be better houses out there.

4. 916Bulldogs123

yes it is Hudson River School. I contacted about 8 different ones. most of the bigger ones either never replied or sent short reply's that they wouldn't be interested with the damage. Usually the opening bid would be the low estimate.

5. 916Bulldogs123

I was pleased with the 15% also.
    One that i am still waiting for another reply is skinner. they sent me two emails but just notifying me that they received my request and that they sent it to their American and European works of art department.

6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Since it does have some damage, I would be worried selling it without a reserve. You might be better off selling it on ebay using the lowest amount you would be happy with as the starting point.

Have you asked any restorers how much it would cost?

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Wow do they struggle with spelling and word use!
    And the COO at that!
    :p

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I thought the same thing, KOT, or it was just Mikey's quick retyping. I would hesitate to put anything in auction without a reserve. I got severely cheated that way. I had a beautiful tiger maple two drawer side table that went for a mere $50 and I'd already had a much higher offer. My mistake in not insisting on a reserve or taken it elsewhere.

Ghopper1924, SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  9. 916Bulldogs123

Actually i copied and pasted from my email so they are as i received them. i don't think they are really from him though. Most likely an assistant using his email. one of the emails i received was even signed "Brian Withered"
    I have all the time in the world on this so I think Ill just keep sending to other auction houses and restorers to be able to make a better and more educated decision.
    Mikey

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

:wideyed::penguin::penguin::wideyed::wideyed: -- There is no "red flag" emoji here, is there? :)

The reason I mention this is that I've found that when I've ignored first impressions, a large percentage of the time I've regretted it.

11. 916Bulldogs123

No But i get it Fig.

12. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

'Professionals' who do that make me nervous. :p

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. In For the old guy

In For the old guy Active Member

Since you're so close it might be a decent idea to sit through an auction before you decide to use them. I've used a few who were great. and one very large and popular one who will never see me again.

They decided no reserve would be best with a starting price of $4,500 on a piece previously appraised at $9,000. Assured me it should go at least about 5. I did not attend the auction and when I visited them the day after the auction i found my piece in the back room with about 50 more. All unsold. Mine had a price tag of $950. on it. They claimed a poor night. Also on line, BTW. :eek::(:rage::penguin::stop:

Anybody agree that $1,000 to $2,500 is too wide a spread for bulldogs?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  14. 916Bulldogs123

Thanks for your information and input.

Here is my answer From Skinner auction house.

Dear Michael:

I hope this finds you well. Although it is difficult to evaluate works of art from digital images, my sense is that the value of the work - especially given its condition - would fall below our minimum lot level of $1,000. As such, we are unable to handle the consignment for you.

If you have any questions, or if I can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your interest in Skinner.

Sincerely,

Robin S.R. Starr
    Vice President
    Director, American & European Works of Art

15. 916Bulldogs123

I decided to list it on ebay BIN and entertain some offers.
    Only because dog food is getting expensive lol

16. In For the old guy

:D

Please link it here when you've set it up.
    Best of luck.

17. 916Bulldogs123

18. In For the old guy

Thanks for the pic. Nice job.

One piece of advice...................

Please replace pic #1. Reason - I am a huge complainer of ANY pic that shows anything besides the subject. Especially items in the background.
    How about one straight on, like on a wall. ANY background removed.

Offered as a friendly hint, not a complaint.

19. 916Bulldogs123

Thanks for the advice. I did that to show what it would look like in that frame. I recently put it back in the frame it came in. I could switch that pic with it.
    Mikey

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Draft saved Draft deleted