Featured Update on my daguerreotypes

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, May 27, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I know many of you wanted to see before and after of the many daguerreotypes I have bought. Well I ran into a road bump with my glass supplier. Last time I dealt with them they charged me $10 for 10 pieces of glass. Well when I called them recently they apparently wanted over $250!!!!! I'm out of glass so I haven't been able to work on them. I am working to get my own glass cutting operation underway and only need the necessary tools. Hopefully I will be able to cut some in the next week!!

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Wow! You are putting your skills to another high level!!!
    Impatient to see your magic on your dags:)

scoutshouse, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see the results!

scoutshouse, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Years ago I took a few classes in making stained glass objects. As I recall, it's not hard to cut glass. The hardest thing will probably be getting it exactly the right size, but you will conquer that I'm sure.

The main reason I didn't take up making stained glass pieces had to do with being an apartment renter and not having a place to do it. Small glass particles can fly around a bit, and I wanted a dedicated place. I did love the classes.

scoutshouse, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Did you ask them why such a jump ????

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What kind of glass are you looking for; is it anything special? If it's thin material, you might try scientific supply companies - the kind of stuff used for microscope slides. Cutting glass is simple, depends on the precision you need.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I HATE it when someone figures out you're doing NICE QUALITY stuff, and suddenly decides they can UP the price to what's politely called RIP-OFF....I HOPE you (politely or NOT) TOLD THEM TO....BUZZ-OFF!!!!!

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Even all the GROCERY stores have UPPED their prices in this Pandemic!!!!! TOTALLY SO WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scoutshouse and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Dick Wood

Dick Wood New Member

Improper cleaning daguerreotype plates can damage the image. From a paper by Thomas M. Edmondson & Susan Barger. "The Examination, Surface Analysis, and Retreatment of Eight Daguerreotypes which were Thiourea Cleaned in 1977 (1993)." (published as a paper in "Issues in the Conservation of Photographs" By Debra Hess Norris, Jennifer Jae Gutierrez). "Thiourea cleaning treatments were once considered safe, effective, and accepted procedures for the care of daguerreotypes. No finger of blame can be pointed at those who used this procedure before the Photographic Materials Group's moratorium on its use. Any uninformed dealer or collector today may be excused for its use, but they do need to be educated about the damage that this treatment inflicts on daguerreotypes. However, for any person who has been aware of both the concerns about this treatment that have been raised in many articles and presentations over the last ten years, there can be no excuse for the continued use of thiourea cleaners. Any doubts as to the damage caused by these treatments should now be erased, and it should be clear that it is no longer acceptable under any circumstances to continue to use thiourea treatments or to suggest their use. The information presented here clearly shows that thiourea treatments cause irreparable damage to [... ] daguerreotypes and that there are no circumstances when this treatment can be considered ethical."

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted