Featured Uranium glass(crystal?) goblets - anyone recognize?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Jun 1, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

7" tall - 3" diameter at the rim. They ring out like crystal when I tap them or run my finger around the rim - don't know if they are actually crystal but I assume they are. Thanks again!

42435235552_223e1871bf_kdev.jpg 42486550351_7722db2e5a_kdev.jpg 42486563921_68dcb36dc0_kdev.jpg 41764109654_e0481c69d2_kdev.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    They are beautiful!!!!!!
    greg

Aquitaine and aaroncab like this.
  3. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Looks rather like a number of Hocking Glass patterns. Not near my books at the present time, but these should be easy to identify.

aaroncab likes this.
  4. aaroncab

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, I have three that look just like this! They are 7" tall but diameter at the rim is slightly over 3", more like 3.25" -- so may be something different from yours. Thanks for posting! I had forgotten about them. Pulled them out of the cabinet and they are a little grimy so will wash them. I bought them at an antique shop many years ago, in the early 1980s, I think. And had very little money at the time so am sure that I didn't pay much.

aaroncab likes this.
  6. aaroncab

Let's see em'! :)

I just re-measured and the height is about 6 7/8" and the width is 3 1/8"(maybe just a tad wider than that) so - not exactly what I first posted - but close

pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

Okay, if you can put up with poor photos.

It might be just a little while. I was thinking of going out on an errand and still have to wash them.

Oh, and the diameter on mine is really between 3 1/8" and 3 1/4" -- but seems closer to the latter.

aaroncab likes this.
  8. aaroncab

Sounds to be about the same as mine then!

9. Figtree3

Finally, here they are! @aaroncab

Using indirect natural light.

002 (1024x768).jpg

001 (1024x768).jpg

pearlsnblume and aaroncab like this.
  10. Figtree3

The color, to me, actually looks more like the color in your second and third photos. There is more yellow than seems to show in my photos. I've never tried to see if they were uranium glass but now am sure they would be.

Also, they ring when tapped, just as you described.

aaroncab likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Ok, and two more to show some other features, like the sort of ribbing that is like on yours.

003 (1024x768).jpg

004 (1024x768).jpg

pearlsnblume and aaroncab like this.
  12. aaroncab

Pretty sure those are the same as mine ... the color kind of changes depending on the lighting and in some light they do look as green as yours. I'm sure yours are uranium glass too. Very good pics! Thanks for taking the time to do that. Now hopefully someone will recognize them... or I'll find them somewhere on the net.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Figtree3

I should mention that one of mine has a small chip on the edge of the foot or base. And one has a small rough spot in the top rim. It is probably a very small chip but it just looks and feels like a rough spot. The chip in the base was there when I got them. Can't remember about the rough spot. I have used them before but not often. Only a few times over all these years.

aaroncab likes this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Are these something maybe you could find on one of those EAG pattern websites maybe? Not sure.

aaroncab likes this.
  15. Cronker

Cronker Active Member

I’m not an expert by any stretch, but I’m not sure that uranium “crystal” was a thing??
    They are lovely though.

aaroncab and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, but I don't think uranium glass was made of crystal, i.e. lead glass with uranium in the mix.

17. Cronker

Cronker Active Member

FWIW - these uranium glasses would fetch perhaps twice as much as the same in crystal, at least where I am.

That being said, if you have a chip on any of the rims, that will devalue them by quite a bit.

aaroncab likes this.
  18. aaroncab

I certainly don't know...but several glass websites I saw said uranium was used in crystal when it first started being used to color glass. That being said - Other than these glass goblets sounding like crystal... I really have no reason to believe they are.

http://www.theglassmuseum.com/uranium.htm

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  19. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

These might be Fostoria. They used that same stem/base on a lot of their different glasses I believe it was the #766 stem. and the optic bowl looks like it too. they had two different optics wide and thin panels.

Mike

aaroncab and Figtree3 like this.
  20. aaroncab

Thank you Mike - looking on replacements now - found some Fostoria very close (same stem and optic, same size, non uranium).

https://www.replacements.com/p/fostoria-766-water-goblet/fos766/16936471

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted