Featured Uranium glass orchid brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Nov 7, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I know it’s highly unlikely this is traceable to a maker but I thought I’d ask and see, even a country of origin would be interesting.
    Orchid brooch, uranium glass gems, the stamens on the large flower are riveted on but are mobile. No makers name I can see and looks like it was cheap and cheerful in its day!
    Thanks for looking :)
    3B7D44EB-8027-4F7D-97A2-A51FBD505A5C.jpeg BC38AC42-E195-4524-B6C0-C048057CEE7B.jpeg 89D1D373-AD0C-4BCE-9119-266799BB0733.jpeg

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful. Not an orchid though, a tiger lily.:)

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That search terms was useful as it turned up a couple more examples.
    Less usefully no one seems to know who made it so probably just a mass produced pretty.

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Nice piece! Looks like they made these in a number of colors. I also saw a bunch online searching "Tiger Lilly brooch", one sold on Ruby Lane ($57 USD). This one below sellers says, "unmarked Weiss" and refers to it being a book piece, but no other info about which book or where. Also I was unable to link into the Etsy sale from the Pinterest link (but I wasn't signed in to Pinterest.)

tig2.jpg

https://www.pinterest.it/pin/471681...t.it/amp/pin/471681760945206899/&open_share=t

ulilwitch, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks Lucille, that is very useful information.
    I’m always suspicious of ‘unmarked ******’ as often it’s come from a hopeful sellers listing.
    If it’s in a book that’s even more useful even if it’s a copy. I’ll investigate Weiss. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not made by a known company as the design is complex even if the execution is cheap.

ulilwitch, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Note to the wise, or Weiss: Unmarked Weiss is an idiocy; the company were badge-rs and didn't have a factory. They paid other companies to put the Weiss name plate or "badge" on their pieces, so there are no unmarked Weiss pieces. Can't be. Odds are it was some anonymous Rhode Island factory. There were dozens if not hundreds.

ulilwitch, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted