Featured Uranium Glass Vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Serendipity, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Serendipity

Serendipity Member

I am hoping that some one can help me ID these two uranium glass vases. They look to me like celery vases, but that would make them Victorian. I usually think of uranium glass as depression glass. They are 7" tall and 3.5" in diameter at the rim. IMG_5172.jpg IMG_5174.jpg IMG_5178.jpg IMG_5172.jpg IMG_5174.jpg IMG_5178.jpg IMG_5172.jpg

komokwa, Zinnie, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVELY !!! ... Joy.

i need help likes this.
  3. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

Nice...these look very Art Deco, probably 1930s. Vases were bought and marketed in pairs. Not sure on maker but Depression era for sure.

4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I think they’re not vases but parfait glasses.

Jivvy, Serendipity, judy and 5 others like this.
  5. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

I agree depression era parfait glasses. Looks like some type of block optic pattern if I'm seeing it correctly.

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Perhaps Elegant glass rather than depression?

7. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

I would agree that they are most likely from an Elegant Glass maker, made during the Depression era.

8. Serendipity

Serendipity Member

I'm not familiar with the term Elegant Glass. Please explain. Thanks.

9. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

Elegant glass is a term dealers and collectors use for glass that has been hand finished. Mold lines were fire polished out, decorating was done via acid etch, or cutting. The term spans glass made in different eras, including the Depression era. The glass would have been sold in "nicer" stores such as large department stores or jewelry stores. Fostoria, Cambridge, Heisey, and Morgantown are a few names of companies that produced "Elegant" Glass. Your mother or grandmother might have referred to the glass as their good glass or crystal, and it would have been used on special occasions.

Depression Glass generally refers to inexpensive glass produced during the 1930's. The glass saw very little if any hand finishing, the designs were molded in and the glass was sold in "Dime" stores or given away in bags of flour or cereal, etc. It would likely have been used on a day to day basis. The glass was produced by makers such as Hocking, Federal, Jeannette, Hazel Atlas to name a few.

When trying to ID glass, it is helpful to recognize the type of glass, as it can help limit the pool of possible makers.

10. Serendipity

Serendipity Member

That's so interesting. I really appreciate your sharing of knowledge! Thank you.

judy, pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  11. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted