Uranium / Vaseline glass, question.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by daveydempsey, Sep 24, 2015.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I`ve acquired a piece of Victorian uranium glass in the form of a salt.
    I bought a cheap UV torch to illuminate it so it glows.

My question is how did the Victorians make their glass glow, because UV lights/bulbs/lamps were not invented until much later around 1903. and a UVA Black light was not invented until 1935.

Normal light.
    UR1.JPG

UV Light

UR2.jpg

UR3.jpg

UR4.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

EAPG period glass makers used uranium salts (the chemical salt compound) to achieve the color that was called canary (yellow/Vaseline glass) and the color 'apple green' which also glows. So it had nothing to do with glowing under UV light. It looks like you have green uranium glass, as Vaseline glass is uranium glass that is the yellow color of Vaseline petroleum jelly. So the fact that it now glows under UV light is a coincidence.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  3. daveydempsey

Okay so I have green uranium glass but unless I put the UV lamp on it it don`t glow, so how did the Vicky`s do it ? :rolleyes:

KingofThings likes this.
  4. TallCakes

Victorian is same era as EAPG, which extends to about 1920. They all used the same uranium salts to develop the colors the yellow to green colors they wanted.

edit: should also add that there were other formulas used to create the colors without the use of uranium salts so not all yellow/green glass glows under UV.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

Unless of course the Victorians did not make it glow and just enjoyed the normal green colour ?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. daveydempsey

TallCakes,
    Thankyou, I had to look up what EAPG was.
    I think we are at odds with the term "salt", I meant this piece is an "Open Salt"
    A glass liner used in Victorian times.
    It contained salt for consuming and the glass was placed in a silver container.

7. TallCakes

I wasn't referring to the term salt as used for a glass form but as a chemical (uranium salts) which was used to color glass in some formulas.

KingofThings and daveydempsey like this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

A salt is a chemical term for a compound which does not have to be sodium chloride, the common salt we eat. Uranium hexafloride is a salt of uranium but I doubt if the Victorians used that as it employed in the enriching of uranium in a gas centrifuge.

They probably ground up a mineral rich in uranium to add to the basic glass mix, because they liked the colour of the resultant glass. Also there is UV in sunlight so some slight colour may have been seen in the sun.

There is a precise chemical definition of a'salt' but I can't recall it offhand. It is just a coincidence they used a florescent substance, many flowers have brighter UV appearances but no UV lamps were involved in their evolution, just UV sensitive eyes in insects.

Many elements were known in mineral form before being isolated as elements.

Most of them probably found their way into glass ,just to see what happened.

9. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Speaking of plants and animals. There is a new trend in Scuba diving. You go out at night with an underwater UV light and check things out that way. Very interesting results.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Precisely
    They had no idea that a UV light would make it glow, as they did not have them.

KingofThings and daveydempsey like this.
  11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

You may find this interesting but it's not to do with the item except that the minerals at this mine are quite varied and are incredible in how they glow. A mineral or two come from only this mine.
    I've been here and have stuff from their tailings which you can dig through, sort through under black light and view before taking what you want.
    Make sure you see the main display room photos!!!
    www.franklinmineralmuseum.com

12. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm chuckling so hard I have to comment.
    The poor guy asks "how did the Victorians make their glass glow," a simple question and gets a doctorate level lecture on "salts."
    Davey. Please thank Cluttered for the rescue. :joyful:

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Now that's putting ' salt ' in the wound !!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
  14. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

15. komokwa

I like Myranium better......
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  16. KingofThings

Nevada test site....
    Where my '69 Chevy pick up served as a security truck.
    :)

17. KingofThings

When this one went off...
    There wasn't a single Bikini left on Atoll..... :rolleyes:

komokwa likes this.
  18. komokwa

or anything else for that matter !!!

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted