Featured US Bank $1000 note

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by busryde, Jan 28, 2020.

1. busryde

busryde Active Member

I'm a collector, my mother is a collector, my grandparents were collectors. I was excited when my mother gave me a box of postcards, stamps, and other ephemera. I found this and thought I stumbled upon something really valuable. 1000banknote_front.jpg

2. busryde

busryde Active Member

Then I turned it over and found this.... 1000banknote_back.jpg

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Mine is near uncirculated
    1000 001.JPG 1000 002.JPG

4. busryde

busryde Active Member

Awesome! I didn't mean to offend the forum, I just thought it was a funny find.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

you didn't offend anyone, it is a funny find:) thanks for sharing it, I've never seen one before:)
    who made the paperweight in your avatar? Looks interesting:)

lloyd249, AJefferson, Sandra and 5 others like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Probably not more than 50 years old.
    Notice the phone numbers are all numbers. After the mid 60s (I think) - Not sure when we got rid of the two letters and numbers.

lloyd249, AJefferson and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Neat! You can tell it is a replica due to the "ink" of the signatures and the graphics of the portraits on the sides not being particularly good quality. Also the paper is different then they would have used at the time of a genuine note. You see lots of fake $1000 Confederate notes.

lloyd249 and AJefferson like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember the 1960s well enough. A lot of Texians used to give 1000 bills for Christmas and birthdays. I got one and my bank went nuts took two day to clear. I kept saying its cash why do I have to wait. The lady who was running the bank said she had only known that the Federal Banks used them to pay their debts. She had never ever seen one in circulation.
    greg

9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A local coin dealer has a $1000 bill in his inventory for $1895 currently. Really neat piece of history. They are dated 1934 series but were still printed by the treasury for decades after that into the 1950's I believe.

lloyd249 and AJefferson like this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,
    They have the same 1934 series since they have not changed the plate but you can always tell the printed date by comparing the Sect of Treasury with the name of the Treasurer of the US. They change from time to time. The only way you get a new series is by changing the plate itself.
    greg

lloyd249, AJefferson and Joe2007 like this.
  11. busryde

busryde Active Member

Honestly, I don't know. It is signed with a stamp, but I have not identified it. I believe it's modern, so, I haven't posted it here. If you'd like, I'll take more photos for ID.

lloyd249 likes this.
  12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

These were a thing in the late sixties because of the 100 year anniversary of the civil war
    con 001.JPG con 002.JPG con 003.JPG con 004.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted