Featured Value for Flambe Vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ghopper1924, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I found this in an auction over the weekend in Missouri. My guess is that it's an Austrian flambé vase with an iron cradle, ca. 1910. It seems to be in the Vienna Secessionist style, exhibiting the requisite Japanese elements. It measures 7 " wide by 17" tall. The bottom (see photos) is unmarked. Please chime in with your opinion.

Anyway, I can't find another like it anywhere, so what are your feelings regarding value?

THANKS!!!!! P1010152.JPG P1010153.JPG P1010156.JPG

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Was it drilled for a lamp? I had a shorter, fatter one with those handles and base.
    greg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Hey Greg:

No, not drilled for a lamp. The hole in the bottom is to secure a screw for the metal base. You can see the drop finial on the base, which does not allow for an electric chord.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's lovely....
    While this is not normally a site for values, some folks may offer an opinion , but mostly we'll try to guide you in the right direction to come up with a fair market price.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Ghopper1924

OK, fair enough. And if anyone has any further light to shed on the origins of this vase, please jump in!

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

All I know is I would have wanted to jump all over that too. Gorgeous.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't see secessionism but, rather, late Victorian or aesthetic. Might be as late as 1910 but I would think a decade or two earlier. The use of iron and that clay color makes me think German but suppose that Austria is possible.

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Excellent, thanks Brad! If not exactly on the same page, I'd say we're in the same fin de siecle chapter (trying not to mix metaphors here :angelic:).

I understand that, unlike the "other" site, this one doesn't deal so much in value, but I'm just going to throw $300 out there for this vase. If anyone thinks that's way off I trust they'll say something in one way or another.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Ghopper1924

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yours are prettier.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ahhh....thanks! I only wish it was worth as much!:)

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Then ask $3000...with a full write up.....& let folks call you crazy.....
    you can always come down to $2250.....:happy::happy:;););)

Ghopper1924, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  13. Ghopper1924

Ha, I like the way you think! ;)

Actually, I think this vase is a keeper. I was really looking more for an insurance replacement value. Maybe $1K isn't too out of line?:angelic::)

14. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I don't know how 1st Dibs does its pricing. I've never found anything on there that was priced realistically.

15. Ghopper1924

Thanks Ascot! What price range would you recommend?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I LOVE it !! Yesss I DO !! .. Joy.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  17. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

:hungry:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  18. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I'm not clear--do you have one vase or a pair? Regardless, I do think you may have something special. I think I'd contact a reputable auction house and see what they think. Try Rago Auctions. Mr. Rago and his wife are regulars on Antiques Roadshow. I've contacted their auction house a few times and have always gotten a response within a few days.

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  19. Ghopper1924

Just on vase, and thanks for the referral!

20. Ghopper1924

OK, on Ascot's advice I wrote Rago. Apparently this vase is neither Jugenstil or Vienna Secession. I'm going with Victorian now, specifically French ca. 1875 or so. Replacement value around $500. Thanks for your help everybody!!

Christmasjoy, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted