Value of this Inauguration Gala program?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by crain97, Sep 10, 2021.

1. crain97

crain97 New Member

This was found at an estate sale in Cle Elum WA in August. 80 mi E of Seattle, 25 mi W of Ellensburg. It was found in a box of sheet music and if I didn't thumb through the pile I wouldn't have noticed it. This is a program sponsored by Lester Pianos for the Inauguration Gala for President Harry S. Truman on January 19th, 1949. It includes official portraits of the President and Vice President, a letter of thanks from Laurance Miller of the Lester Piano Manufacturing Company, the guests (which include Gene Kelly and Abbott & Costello), and even B&W pictures from the gala itself.

What I would like to know is the value of this program. There are a lot of collectors of Presidential memorabilia and ephemera. Is this a valuable collector's item, especially with the letter from Lester Pianos and the pictures from the gala? Thanks! P1090774-compressed.jpg P1090773-compressed.jpg P1090776-compressed.jpg P1090775-compressed.jpg

Attached Files:

Joe2007 likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If you look on eBay, programs from the Truman inauguration aren't particular rare and go for quite modest prices or remain unsold. Here, for instance, is a copy that sold for $15.50. The letter is a mass produced thank you with what's likely a facsimile signature by a committee head; in and of itself it's unlikely to have much value. There also doesn't appear to be much value in Lester Piano ephemera. I don't see a gala program on eBay so your item may be rarer than the inauguration program. But I would still think its value would be relatively modest. Given that, if I were listing it on eBay, I would do so as an Auction starting at $14.95 or $19.95 and see if there was interest from more than one collector that would drive the price up.

That's just my opinion. Let's wait and see what others think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2550396042...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Debora

Joe2007, Figtree3 and Fid like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. crain97

crain97 New Member

There's a paper wraparound/cover that is over the original Inaugural Gala cover. The wraparound is the Lester Pianos cover with the piano drawing.
    Hopefully, it brings along a bidding war. But sometimes what we think is collectible and extremely valuable really isn't. A couple of months ago I found a Boyd's bear in the box at another estate sale, and looking on eBay it only sold for $30 at most...

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a wraparound cover just featuring Lester Pianos? That's odd. Must have been used as a promotional piece with distributors.

Debora

Fid likes this.
  6. crain97

crain97 New Member

Wouldn't you know it, you were completely right in its value. I sent that program out to an eBay buyer earlier today for $19.99. Hopefully, he'll like it. :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I didn't see this thread when it was first created. I agree with Debora's thoughts. These were likely mass produced and many people involved likely saved them, thus making them widely available even today and depressing prices. Neat piece!

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

My favorite words in the English language... "You were completely right."

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted