Value of tiles

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Prolega, May 4, 2020.

1. Prolega

Prolega New Member

Greeting. I'm new to this site. I'm from Croatia. I wonder how I could find out the value of antique tiles? The tiles are from the end of the 19th century from the Secession period. I have about 150 square meters. Dimensions 17x17 cm with 2 cm.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Prolega. I agree, they are late 19th century, very nice.
    The value depends on where you are. Values in different parts of the world are different, especially for items that are difficult to sell internationally.
    Do you want to sell them, or do you need an insurance value?

[​IMG]

3. Prolega

Prolega New Member

I want to sell them.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

As an example a friend of mine has 400 early Victorian 1840 floor tiles all perfect, they were found 1 metre under his old house after it was flooded.

He can't get even get £1 each for them (€1.14)

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Blimey. He needs to sell them in London.

6. Prolega

Prolega New Member

It may be worth it, but I thought it might be more in terms of quantity. Rarely do you find so many at a time. Btw, if it good price, i will moove to London :).

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

He's had em on Gumtree, couple of tons, buyer to collect,no takers

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Question: Are your tiles 'cemented' to the floor or are they 'free floating'....if cemented, likely to be some damage in getting them up, isn't there??

AND, BTW, Hi @Prolega, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!!:):):)

Christmasjoy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ya, i'm seeing grout between the tiles.....
    how would one pull them off the floor without chipping and cracking them?????

10. Prolega

Prolega New Member

The tiles were taken out, and the ones that were accidentally slightly damaged were pulled out. So we're talking about healthy, undamaged and cleaned tiles ready to be installed.

tie.dye.cat and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Ision

Ision Member

The value of antique tiles is very dependent upon which manufacturer created them, and if a well known artist was involved in their designs. The BACK, or verso, of the tile should give the information required to value the tiles properly. Often, the creators of the tiles marked the backs, and the grip designs are often unique to specific makers. The thickness of the tiles and their dimensions, too... Whether they are encaustic and how many colors of clay are used.

You must image the back of a tile in any attempt to market them. Also, if you wish to remove antique mortar from a tile, soak them in straight vinegar, as the acid will basically "melt" the mortar, so it may be washed off.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good info @Ision ....too bad Prolega hasn't been seen here since the 18th of May ....still others may benefit in the future !!!

Draft saved Draft deleted