Featured Vase hand-painted by artist Vivian Goddard

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Alla Stepanova, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Alla Stepanova

Alla Stepanova New Member

Vase signed.jpg Vase signed.jpg Vase back.jpg I came across a ceramic vase, hand-painted by an artist Vivian Goddard. (It is signed). I ll try to attach pictures. I never heard of this artist but googled her: she lived 1904-2005 in San Francisco. Can it be of any interest to collectors?

Attached Files:

Figtree3, judy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. Alla Stepanova

3. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

Looking for comparables, watercolors by Vivian Goddard have sold for a few hundred dollars. Have not found anything she painted other than oils, so you may have something quite special there.

judy, cxgirl and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Hmmm, if it was painted in 1998 by Vivian Goddard she would have been 94 years old when she painted it. ;)

Or perhaps she started putting her age on her pottery and "98" was her age when she did it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  5. AmericanGeode

6. Alla Stepanova

Thank you for your replies! She died at 101, so might have done it :happy:.

AmericanGeode, thank you for your reply: I searched the internet and also found only information about her paintings. Maybe the vase is a fake.

I do not mind as I like it.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not an uncommon name. Think a bit of leap to assign to Goddard, the S.F. artist. Here's an example of her signature for comparison. By way, I would suspect yours is missing a lid.

Debora

20954322_2_x.jpg

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

You can't assume it's the same person. It says "Vi", which could also be Vivian, or short for Victoria or Viveca, at a stretch.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  9. AmericanGeode

Goddard’s signature certainly varies. Here is an example from an oil on canvas that is close to signature on the porcelain.

Attached Files:

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I agree with you AmericanGeode, looks similar:)

judy likes this.
  11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Forget it; the G is totally different in all those examples.

12. AmericanGeode

And this back-and-forth conversation is the beauty of the public forum. :happy:

13. Rod Tayler

Rod Tayler New Member

The Vivian Goddard you refer to was my grandmother. She was a painter but did not paint porcelain.

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Rod Tayler . Your update is appreciated. Most of the people who participated in this older discussion haven't been back recently, but your information may be useful to somebody in the future.

kentworld, Bronwen, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted