Vase, Holland Mexico or someplace else?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kevolee, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I am fairly sure the mark on the bottom of this vase says Holland but I am not positive and I cannot find one like it or another Gouda piece with the same color clay. It sure looks like Gouda pottery, but I have also found some Mexican pieces that look very similar. It stands about 7.5" tall Hopefully somebody can help me and I thank all of you in advance.

IMG_3398.JPG IMG_3399.JPG IMG_3400.JPG IMG_3401.JPG IMG_3402.JPG

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not Mexican.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Kevolee

Thanks, Debora. I've tried blowing up that mark and altering it but I just can't avoid seeing something other than Holland, Though I can see that too.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't see "Holland." To my eye, Near- or Middle-Eastern more likely but not my area of expertise. Sure someone else will come along who will be able to identify.

Debora

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Morocco?

kentworld likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I think Nabeul.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    kentworld, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could be. Most certainly somewhere in North Africa, and Nabeul ceramics do have a lot of those 'cloisons', for lack of a better word.
    [​IMG]
    Uhmm, we don't use Arabic script in Dutch.:)
    We in Brabant tend to think the Hollanders are a bit strange (and they think we are stupid :bucktooth:), but I have never seen Holland Dutch written in Arabic script either.:playful:

Those yellow ribbon-like shapes that look like fish standing on their tails are an old way of writing the letter Aleph, or A. It has a similar meaning in Islam as the Alpha in Christianity: the beginning of everything.

patd8643 and Mat like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice research, Mat.:)
    From Mat's link, a similar mark:
    [​IMG]

The name, written:
    [​IMG]

Mat likes this.
  10. Kevolee

Matt, great detective work and thanks so much. Thanks to all of you. Funny how I couldn't get my first impression out of my mind even after I knew it was wrong. Thanks to everyone you've done it again.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted