Featured Vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jollyrancher, Nov 5, 2015.

1. jollyrancher

jollyrancher Active Member

This vase has me stumped. Some say it looks like unmarked Fulper, but the base is all wrong. You can see gauze strips coming through some areas of the vase. I had several dealers express extreme interest in it while I was walking around with it in my hands. Could it be North Carolina pottery? Fulper? What? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice!

3. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

Have no ideas, but I love it.

4. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Really, really nice. I think you're on the right track with a Southern pottery.
    How big is it?

5. jollyrancher

Thanks...it's 6 1/2" tall and about 20" around.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Those handles and colors make me think Mexican or south American,but what do I know?

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Definitely not Fulper. I do think North Carolina in origin. Maybe an early Cole piece?

*crs* likes this.
  8. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Definitely North Carolina. Best guess is A.R. Cole c1940s. On a side note, there was a North Carolina potter that turned some for Fulper. The name is escaping right now.

9. jollyrancher

Thanks CRS and thanks for your comments too, verybrad and johnny. CRS, what leads you to believe it is North Carolina? Any idea about those gauze strips? Never seen them on pottery before.

10. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I dunno. Maybe in hand I'd think otherwise but this doesn't strike me as quite right for NC pots. Just a nagging itch. I too thought NC right away but something just bothers me.

James Goodwin Teague threw pots at Stangl, which was previously Fulper.
    He demonstrated traditional folk pottery throwing there in 1940-1941.
    Most of his output was salt glaze, often blue decorated. These pieces are usually stamped Stangl Stoneware and are highly sought by the Stangl crowd me included, I'm into both Stangl AND southern pots. It's a natural

*crs* likes this.
  11. *crs*

Jollyrancher & Don, there are at least 2 examples of pots with the double handles and one of those is a multi-glaze similar to this one but different color combination in A. Everette James book. jollyrancher, gauze strips? I'm sorry but I don't see the gauze strips

12. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that "guaze strips" effect is from the wet clay sitting on a window screen for some reason...? I don't think any kind of fabric could survive through the kiln firing.

*crs*, if you enlarge the pics of the bottom to full size, you can see the patches that look like woven cloth.
    https://www.antiquers.com/attachments/vase6-jpg.23147/

The clay looks white-ish. Is it possible it's Kentucky pottery? Selden Bybee? Waco?

It looks like it was worked off the wheel with a serrated putty knife. Very messy looking on the bottom.

What color clay did Ben Owen use?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Skeezix,
    Did not know you liked Stangl. I got rid of most of mine. I had a set of what looked like Thistle but was bright blue instead of green. I gave them to a niece. It was only five pieces 2 cups and three saucers. Most of mine went in yard sales over the years. I had two very large plates which were solid dark forest green which I never could find either. I wonder if I still have them.
    greg

14. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

We currently collect Stangl birds. I'm always on the lookout for rare Stangl.
    We're not really into dinner ware other than the very rare stuff, Barnyard, Kiddie ware, Ranger Boy, Jersey Shore, samples, etc.. I'll still buy more common patterns, blueberry, country garden, etc. but they've gotta be saleable, and MINT condition, and not your basic pieces such as plates, cups, and saucers. Coffee pots, teapots, lamps, warmers, and such will always draw my attention.

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I had quite a few pieces of Stangl plates and bowls that I think my mother probably bought new. I don't know the different lines or names... these had fairly bright primary colors, with fruit designs and maybe also flowers.

My mother gave them to me in the '70s and I used them for years, then sold them to someone about 15 years ago. I wish I'd hung onto them.

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Just did a quick Google search, and I think I probably only had fruit patterns... I think the plates, or at least some of them, had wide yellow borders. I remember bowls that were brown on the outside and had little "handles" molded in.

17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I have a question about the vase in this thread. If I came across it, I would have thought it was a studio pottery piece from an unknown potter. How can you tell a piece is more likely a from a collectible production house... just signature, glazes and style?

18. *crs*

Ok, I see them now Laura. I agree with your assessment. Pat, correct, with something like this you you have to look at the shape and glazes.Signature always helps :)

Pat P likes this.
  19. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Just want to say....I LIKE IT !!!:D

*crs* likes this.
  20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Oh, I like it, too!

Draft saved Draft deleted